Chapter Twenty-Five ✧ The Winter Soldiers

AN: Jessica's outfit is up top.

This is about to get real, y'all. "Hold onto your butts."

Also, if you got that reference? You're absolutely amazing and I love you.

Steven Rogers was a fugitive

Within twenty minutes every SHIELD agent was looking for him, the man having to steal clothes from the hospital's lost and found to disguise himself in sweatpants and a blue hoodie.

Which wouldn't be conspicuous if he hadn't of put the hood on while he was inside the building.

Unfortunately, Steve Rogers stuck out like a sore thumb.

So when he had made it to the vending machine he had hidden the hard drive Fury had given him before he died, he wasn't completely shocked to see Natasha Romanoff in the glass blowing a bubble of the gum he had placed the device behind.

Upon seeing the woman, Steve turned and pushed her into an empty room and against the wall, the woman grunting from the force.

Steve ripped his hood off, growling, "Where is it?"

"Safe," Nat furrowed her brows. Steve narrowed his blue eyes at her, gripping onto her wrists harder, "Do better."

"Where did you get it?" Natasha counter-questioned, making Steve say, "Why would I tell you?"

Natasha's face suddenly softened and she whispered, "Fury gave it to you. Why?"

"What's on it?"

"I don't know," Nat simply shrugged. Steve scoffed, rolling his eyes, "Stop lying!"

Natasha deadpanned, "I only act like I know everything, Rogers."

Steve turned toward the door as footsteps were heard, his heart beginning to race as he thought the ex-SHIELD agents had found him.

He looked back to Natasha, saying, "I bet you knew Fury hired the pirates, didn't you?"

Natasha's mouth bubbled for a moment as her eyes flashed back and forth in thought, eventually saying, "Well, it makes sense. The ship was dirty, Fury needed a way in, so do you."

The woman gasped as Steve harshly gripped at her shoulders once more, growling, "I'm not gonna ask you again."

"I know who killed Fury," Natasha told, Steve immediately reeling back as all anger left his brow.

Nat let out a breath before she continued, "Most of the intelligence community doesn't believe he exists, the ones who do call him the Winter Soldier. He's credited with over two dozen assassinations in the last fifty years."

"So he's a ghost story?"

"Five years ago I was escorting a nuclear engineer out of Iran, somebody shot out my tires near Odessa," Natasha explained quietly, "We lost control, went straight over a cliff, I pulled us out, but the Winter Soldier was there. I was covering my engineer, so he shot him straight through me."