Chapter Five ✧ Decision

AN: Jessica's outfit is the same as the previous chapter.

The next week for Jessica Lynne Martin and Steven Grant Rogers went by quicker than they would have liked to admit

Steve was training most of the day and Jessica was always watching him, her heart full by the worn smile that he gave her whenever he saw her. They spent their nights together after dinner, having found a willow tree to sit under and read the books Jessica had brought along with her.

They had gone there every night after their first day at the camp, sitting there during the twilight hours while Jessica read to Steve aloud. The man had always been in awe of the woman as she read, her voice capturing every emotion perfectly causing him to be enticed by the story.

Steve and Jessica were shoulder to shoulder, the sun going down as a light breeze swept through the long tendrils hanging down from the tree making Steve's smile grow brighter. Jessica's hair brushed across her face and before she could reach up to move it, Steve reached for her red hair, sweeping it behind her ear.

Jessica's voice trailed from reading Tender is the Night, Steve's fingers still brushing against her jaw as she turned toward him. A crimson color rushed up Steve's neck and cheeks bringing his hand back as he cleared his throat, saying, "I'm sorry."

"You're okay, Steve," Jess whispered, giving him a small smile. Steve nodded, looking at his feet causing a silence to echo between them.

Jessica sighed, attention going back to the book and saying, "How do you like the book, Steve?"

Steve shrugged, looking out into the distance as a group of men walked by, "I don't know... I just don't get it."

"Oh, I'm sorry," Jessica immediately apologized to him, "I should have asked if you even wanted to read this-"

Steve cut her off with a chuckle, turning toward her with his legs crossed under him, "No, no. That's not it at all," Jess let out a relieved breath, "I just don't get how he could do it."

"Cheat on his wife?" Jessica quirked a brow. Steve shook his head, blue eyes on Jessica's green ones, "If you love someone you'd never do that."

"I agree with you there," Jessica nodded, "You'd never even put yourself in that situation, either."

Steve's eyes widened, "Exactly! And if he really loved Nicole then Dick would have never cheated. The main idea of the book is that the reality of love is a daily choice. Love is an action, not a feeling."

"And what do you think shows love, Steve?" Jessica questioned, genuinely curious as she leaned closer to him naturally.

Steve was quiet for a moment before he said, "I think love is in the smaller things. Love doesn't have to be a huge gesture or testimony. It can just be a look or a graze of a hand. Love, to me, is just being there for one another through the good and the bad and supporting them no matter what."