Chapter Forty-Four ✧ Counting Nightmares

AN: Jessica's outfit is up top.

Trigger Warning

This chapter is going to be a little rough, since it has everyone's nightmares in it from AoU. Particularly Jessica's and Steve's- given their traumatic past. You have been warned.

Out of all the places Jessica Lynne had gone, Africa was never one of them

If the circumstances were different, the woman would have been ecstatic, always wanting to have experienced the vibrant culture and beauty it held.

But here she was, stepping off one of the Avenger's Quinjets on the African coast to find someone who was stealing a precious metal and used it for power.

She wondered if Howard Stark had been doing the same, but quickly shook it off remembering when he said he had found a deposit of it on the outskirts of the city they knew nothing about.

Steve took Jessica from her thoughts of the past, taking her hand.

She turned to him as he said, "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine, hero," Jessica whispered, pit twisting in her stomach, "I just have a bad feeling about this."

Steve took a sharp intake of breath and turned to the Avengers, meeting the eyes of Tony, saying, "Eyes up."

"You picking up on something, Poison Ivy?" Tony questioned as they began walking under the hot sun.

Jessica scanned the graveyard and pursed her lips, "Danger."

"Everyone stay on task," Cali told, coming up beside Jessica, taking her attention, "Hopefully we will just be in and out."

No one continued as they made their way through the desert, Chess and Bruce having stayed in the Quinjet.

They had just entered the second level of the supposedly abandoned ship when they heard Ultron's robotic voice say, "Stark is... he's a sickness."

"Ah, junior," Tony falsely sighed, as though he was hurt, "You're gonna break your old man's heart."

Jessica listened from beside Natasha, feet light as they approached on the sides instead of the front, where Steve, Thor and Tony were.

"If I have to."

Thor spoke for the first time, saying, "Nobody has to break anything."

"Clearly you've never made an omelet," Ultron said, making Jessica wrinkle her nose at his idea of a joke.

Tony shook his head, saying, "He beat me my just one second."

"Ah, yes," A new voice said, Pietro stepping beside Ultron while his sister, Wanda, and best friend, Andromeda, stood back slightly, "He's funny. Mr. Stark. It's what? Comfortable?"