Ch. 1 The New Boss

"Let's just hope you last longer than the others," the hiring manager muttered.

Seriously?

This lady couldn't have said that before you signed your contract?

You were speechless as you watched her file your already-signed paperwork for your new job as an assistant to a hero in the city.

What the hell did she mean by that?

You debated using your quirk, but.... No. You weren't going to do that anymore.

You'd put on your most professional clothes, wearing heels and a skirt, of all things, looking the perfect image of the put-together executive assistant ready to start her new job. But now, now, this lady felt the need to drop this little bit of info?

"What do you mean, exactly?" you asked.

"Your new boss is fairly well known for his... unique...style. Frankly, he can be a jerk. But you come highly recommended, so just do your job, keep your head down, and you should be fine," she said. Then she grimaced. "I hope."

You stared longingly at the signed contract you'd just turned in. It was still in the hiring manager's hands in the envelope.

You could probably wrestle it out of her hands, you thought, but wrestling an old lady in the middle of an office would probably not help you ever get another job in this city.

Besides, you wondered how much wrestling you could even do in this tight of a skirt.

Maybe you could hit it out of her hands with one of your heels. These heels felt awful anyway and it would feel good to throw something. Yeah, these shoes made your legs and butt look good, but they were so annoying to wear.

You sighed.

Just like that contract, your fate was sealed.

A job was a job though. You definitely needed the money, and this was the only opening the staffing company had where you could start right away.

You'd worked similar jobs before and surely you could handle this one, no matter what the boss was like.

In fact, you'd spent the past year working as a personal assistant in your town. You weren't completely unfamiliar with people who were difficult to work with.

But now you were unemployed, in a new city, and pretty much desperate. Beggars can't be choosers, right?

Between the down payment on your new apartment and basic things like food, utilities, and getting drunk at the bar down the street, you needed money and you needed work now.

The lady gave you the address for your new job and wished you luck.

Before you left, you asked, on a whim, "How long have his other assistants lasted?"

She gave you a look, maybe one of pity. "Most have lasted a day or two, sometimes a week. I've lost count." She probably saw the pained look on your face because she added, pretty unconvincingly, "but you'll do great."

You took a deep breath.

Awesome. Can't wait. So excited.

"Here, take these," she said, handing you some magazines. "I'm sure he's in these. Read up on the subway over."

You rolled your eyes when you noticed what they were. Hero tabloids, the kind of gossip magazines that printed pretty much any story, true or false. In particular they seemed to love stories about the handsome young male and female heroes and who they may or may not be dating.