Ch. 49 The Start of a Plan

<About six months ago>

Dabi looked like a real fire breathing dragon as he exhaled, passing the joint to Hawks as the thick cloud of smoke evaporated into the air.

Ever since the young winged hero first approached Dabi, he knew this was all an act, just another way for the heroes to get information about the League. It was so obvious. The hero commission must really be struggling if they thought this idiot was their best choice to infiltrate the League. 

But who cared? Dabi wasn't loyal to the League, he was loyal to himself, and if he could stir up a little bit of misery for everyone by sharing info with the heroes, why not? Plus, Hawks always had good weed.

"Look at those miserable idiots," Dabi said, gesturing across the room from them. Hawks waved away the cloud of smoke and looked, noticing what looked like a happy couple cuddling on the couch.

"Aw, give them a break. Haven't you ever been in love, Dabi?"

"Who gives a shit about love?" Dabi scoffed. Besides, he was pretty sure he'd seen that guy cuddling up with some other girl the last time they'd been at a house party here. 

"I do," Hawks said. "Or did. I was in love, once."

"But the sex was bad?"

"No. No, that wasn't it. Not at all, in fact." Hawks slowly exhaled and handed the joint back. "My first mistake was falling in love with a girl with a mind-reading quirk."

"That's rough. That could get you into all kinds of trouble."

"Right? Mistake number two was the fact that she was a coworker."

"Another stupid hero?"

"Sort of. We were living in that town I told you about. There were very few heroes there so regular people kind of helped out where they could. We worked together every day, so I guess it was only natural that something happened."

"Never shit where you eat, bird boy."

"Like you're one to talk. Hey, that was three, hand it back." Dabi gave Hawks the joint reluctantly. "And mistake number three was how it all ended."

"You killed her?"

"What? No, of course I didn't kill her. Come on, Dabi."

"It was just a question. Smart move keeping her alive, I guess. Good pussy and a strong quirk. The League could use a little more of both of those."

Hawks laughed and took another puff on the joint, the weed making him feel chatty and introspective. "This girl would have been way too tough, even for you."

"Those are the most fun to break. If you didn't kill her, what happened? She ran off with a guy with a better dick?"

"No. I left her."

"Wow. You really are a dumbass then. See, this is why you can't meet the boss yet. You make shit decisions. What was her name, lover boy? Got it tattooed somewhere in a cute little heart?"

"Y/n. Her name was y/n."

Dabi took a long hit off the joint, his mind working even when numbed by the drugs and booze. "Y/n, huh? That's a nice name." 

----

<Back to the present> 

"Hey?" Hawks waved and tried to smile at you, but you were having none of it.

"I thought I told you to never speak to me again. Yet here you are."

"You asked why I was here."