Ch. 19 Kiss and Tell

"He was lucky. Kirishima only had a short hospital stay, just long enough for them to make sure he was okay."

"I'm so glad to hear that," you told Todoroki over lunch. You'd picked the place this time, and you were able to pronounce every single item on the menu this time. "I know you guys were worried about him. Maybe the League isn't as bad as people think."

"They're still villains, and they've done terrible things to people." 

"But they let Kirishima go unharmed. Doesn't that count for something?" 

"No. One good deed, if we can even call it that, does not make up for all of the bad." 

"I guess." 

A few days had passed, the little flame on your shoulder had slowly healed, and you were doing your best to balance being a normal person during the day and a criminal at night. Now that the League trusted you more, Shigaraki sent you on a few more missions, mostly as an observer, and it seemed like your life only happened in the dark.

"I can't say much else," Todoroki said, "but I think in some ways it will end up being a good thing that he was kidnapped."

"What? How could being kidnapped be a good thing?"

"He was able to report back on a lot of things we didn't know before about the League's members. I can't really talk about it, but his experience is going to be helpful."

Kirishima's kidnapping and release had been kept out of the press, so you'd had to play dumb when you asked Todoroki about it during one of the lunches you had together.

Lunches with Todoroki were pretty much your only connection to normal life during the day at this point. This was your second one this week, and you knew it was only a matter of time before he started asking about a real date.

Aside from some general awkwardness between the two of you, you'd been hesitant at first because he was a hero. But as you got to know him, your hesitation came from the opposite reason. He was a hero, yes, a strong and kind hero, but you...

Were you now a villain?

After lunch, Todoroki waited with you for your taxi outside the restaurant. From the way he kept shifting side to side and looking around, you knew he wanted to say something, and you had a feeling you knew what it was.

"Before you go," Todoroki finally said, "there's something I need to ask you. It's okay to say no."

Oh god. Here we go.

"Okay," you said.

"Would it be okay if I shared your cell number with Bakugo?"

"Wait, what?"

"He needs to ask you about some files on his computer that he needs."

"Oh."

Of course that was all it was. You should have known.

"Yeah, sure, whatever. You mean he's not going to just show up at my apartment like you did?"

You saw a hint of pink on Todoroki's cheeks. "I.... I didn't know how else to talk to you."

"Shoto, it was fine." You reached for his hand and gave it a squeeze. "Thank you for lunch."

Just then the taxi pulled up by the two of you, and it was time to go.

"Wait," he said, holding your hand for just a second longer before you got in the car. "Y/n, there's something else, too. I.... y/n, I like you."

"I like you, too," you told him. You tried to pull away slightly, but he didn't let your hand go. "I've really liked these lunches with you. The taxi is waiting though..."