Ch. 28 Spies

"Bakugo?" the police chief asked, obviously confused. "Is there something you need?"

He blinked, realizing that he was standing up at his table and everyone was staring at him, including the winged hero who suddenly looked very interested in the meeting.

"No," Bakugo muttered, sitting down again. "No, there's not."

What he needed was to be out of this room. Right now. He needed to find you, talk to you, anything to get rid of the sinking feeling in his gut.

That couldn't be you in the pictures. There had to be someone else with a similar quirk.

Had to be.

Bakugo practically bolted out of the briefing room the second the meeting ended, and he'd almost made it when he heard a voice behind him.

"Bakugo."

This bastard would choose right now of all times to want to talk to him? Weren't these meetings enough? The very last thing he felt like doing was sticking around to socialize, especially with a leader who couldn't even be bothered to show up on time.

Bakugo took a deep breath and slowly turned around to face his newly appointed leader.

"What?"

"Stick around for a minute, would you?" Hawks asked.

"I have one minute."

From what Hawks had heard of the young hero from the hiring agency you'd used, Hawks was not at all surprised that this was how it was going to be.

When he'd received the initial reports and saw the blurry pictures, he'd had his suspicions. That's why he volunteered to lead the investigation.

Everything that had happened between the two of you still kept him up at night. You never forget your first, right? Sure there'd been a string of girls over the past two years, but it was like he was always flying after something that was just out of reach and no matter who was in his bed, he was imagining someone else.

"How's your agency doing?" Hawks asked.

"Fine."

"Glad to hear it. Business is good?"

"It's fine."

"Good enough to hire people?"

"Can you hurry this up? I have something I need to do."

Hawks glanced around, making sure that everyone else had already left so that the two of them could be alone.

"Sit down for a second. I want to talk."

"I'd rather stand."

"Suit yourself." Hawks popped up to sit on top of one of the tables, trying to decide how to start this conversation. He needed to feel out how much Bakugo knew, but he also didn't want to give away too much if it wasn't necessary.

It hadn't been too difficult to locate the agency you'd used in town. That agency had told Hawks that you had a job but had been fired after a week. So that's all he knew. They wouldn't give out your address, and the phone number the agency had for you was disconnected.

He'd spent all this time trying to find you, and now that he finally had your number, it was disconnected? Such a disappointment.

"You had an assistant for a while, right?"

"Yeah."

"Y/n?"

"You know her?"

"Kind of."