Ch. 46 Take the Ring Off Now

As soon as you slammed the car door shut with both of you inside, you started to take off the ring, or at least you tried to take it off, because the fucker wouldn't budge.

It felt like it took hours to get out of the restaurant with everyone congratulating you both and wanting to take pictures with Shoto and practically gushing over the stupid fucking ring that wouldn't come off.

"Damn it!" you growled, trying to pull on it.

"Here, let me help," Shoto said, reaching toward you.

"Back up," you snapped. "I can't even look at you right now." You tried pulling at the ring again, with no luck, your finger only turning purple the more you tried to tug it off. "You got this thing on me, why the hell won't it come off?"

"Maybe because it's meant to be on your finger."

"Oh shut up," you fumed.

"You're the one who let me put it on you."

"Because I'm nice and didn't want to embarrass you and ugh! Now I'm so mad."

"Then maybe if you would calm down it would come off?"

"How can I calm down when fifty people just saw us get fake-engaged, not to mention all of the people who are now going to hear about it on social media? I can't even believe this is happening."

"What if I iced your finger...?"

"Don't touch me."

You stewed in silence the rest of the way home. The last thing you wanted to do was subject his poor, sweet driver to the crazy you were about to unleash on Shoto. He tried to hold your hand at one point in the car, but you only scooted farther away, neither of you speaking to the other until you'd made it into the apartment.

Once inside the door to the apartment you immediately spun around to yell at him, but he wasn't even looking at you. He was staring at his phone.

"I have to go into work," Shoto said distractedly, looking at his phone. "I just got a text. Are you going in to work tonight?"

"You're going to go? Right now? Are you serious? Shoto, I am pissed. We need to talk."

"You didn't want to talk in the car."

"Because I'm mad! This ring is stuck on my hand, and you don't seem at all bothered by the fact that the world is going to think we're getting married when we're not."

"So you're not going to work."

"Oh. My. God."

"So you are going to work?"

"Yes, I'm going to work! I'm sure as hell not sticking around here." You stormed into the kitchen and headed straight for the silverware drawer. Shoto followed you in, keeping his distance.

"What are you doing?" he asked cautiously.

"I'm looking for a knife."

"Don't be ridiculous."

"You're the one who is ridiculous," you said, finding a knife and spinning around to face him. You held it up like you'd seen Toga hold her knives. "You're lucky I'm just going to cut off my finger and not use this knife on...you."

"Now you're just being dramatic." But he backed up all the same. "When are you planning on going into work?"

"I don't know. Why do you even care?" Cursing everything in existence, you reluctantly put the knife back and slammed the kitchen drawer shut. You tried tugging on the ring again. "But as soon as possible."