Ch. 15 Blue Eyes Lit by Fire

"Tell me everything. What'd you find out, new girl?"

As your hair and clothes dripped water all over the floor, you sat back on your knees and tried to control your breathing long enough to be able to speak to Shigaraki. Your mind was still trying to understand how your simple mission of reading a man's thoughts had morphed into attempted murder in a matter of minutes.

"Doesn't matter," Dabi said instead. "That guy won't be saying shit for a long time." You watched as Dabi stripped off his wet jacket and rung out his shirt on the floor before starting to dry his clothes with his own flames. 

"Perfect," Shigaraki said. "I'd say you both did well, but you're getting everything wet and it's pissing me off. What the hell is this? Did you go for a swim in the hotel pool or something?"

"If I got her to do that with me tonight, you think I'd have come back here?"

"Never know with you. Did you win any money?"

"Like I'd tell you."

The dirty water from the sprinkler system was starting to dry on your skin, but your clothes were still soaked, and you felt your body shaking slightly from the cold. You still hadn't said anything because you could hardly believe the casual tone of the two men in front of you. A man had almost been burned alive and they were talking about whether or not Dabi had won any money?

"Your pay out is on the table by the door," Shigaraki told both of you. "You'll hear from me when I need you next. Now get out of here."

"That guy..." you started to say from your place on the floor, forcing yourself to speak even though your teeth were chattering.

"I said go," Shigaraki said without even looking at you. Dabi was already counting his money by the door.

"That guy..." you tried again. You knew your voice was trembling, but you couldn't seem to do anything about it. "That guy knew nothing. He didn't matter to you? He... just drives the car..."

"Yeah, I know."

"You... knew that?"

"Yeah," Shigaraki said, sounding like he thought you must be stupid. "But this sent a message to the people who do matter, and that was what was important about tonight."

"So why...." You struggled to find the right words. "Why... why was I even there?"

"Dabi, is she always this slow?"

"It's part of her charm."

Shigaraki walked across the room and crouched down in front of where you sat on the floor. He sighed. "You were there, pretty girl, to be a pretty face who would get him alone for a minute so Dabi could have a little privacy to do what he does best."

"So... I was bait."

"Now you're catching on. And now you're also an accessory to a crime," Shigaraki continued, "an accessory whose pretty face was seen by quite a few people, so tonight had the added bonus of initiating you into our happy little family."

"But... my quirk? You wanted me to read his mind and find out..."

"And did he? Did he have knowledge of some kind of master plan to sell out the League or our dealings with his organization?"

"No," you shook your head, "not at all."

"Great. Glad to hear it. But now your face is annoying me," he stood up and dismissed you with a wave of his hand. "Take your money and go home. I'll be in touch."

You pulled yourself up off the floor slowly. You thought about not taking the money, but then... you know what, you thought to yourself, I'll take all this money and I'll take all of his money. One day you were going to make this bastard pay for real.