Ch. 24 Red Roses

"For example," Kirishima explained to you and Bakugo, "there was this one girl villain, when they were interrogating me... "

You jolted upright, almost knocking over the computer in your lap as you waved your hands. "Kirishima, it's okay," you interrupted, "I get what you guys are saying; you don't have to explain. Why don't we move on –"

"It's fine!" he interrupted you this time. "She seemed kinda nice," he continued, "especially since the other guy was a total dick. But at the end of the day, she was still working with villains, and if I could have, I would have put her in jail with the rest."

"We don't have to keep talking about this," you tried saying at the same time you heard Bakugo ask, "What's her quirk?"

"Let's focus on how you were captured, how about that?" you asked, desperate to change the subject. "Let's start there. That's the beginning anyway."

Anything to distract from the conversation going down that road. Besides, you really did want to know what Dabi had done to get him to the hideout. Dabi had a strong quirk, sure, but from what you knew of Kirishima, you imagined that he could take Dabi in a fight based on pure physical strength. So how had Dabi managed to get those handcuffs on him?

Maybe if you could find out information you didn't know about Dabi...

Oh, who were you kidding? What could someone like you do against someone like Dabi, really? You couldn't turn into a tough shield or shoot someone with fire...

You felt your stomach sink, realizing that you might never be rid of him.

"You alive over there?"

"What?" You looked up and realized that both guys were staring at you.

"You spaced out there for a second."

"Sorry." You shook your head to snap out of it. "So, start at the beginning. How did they get you under their control?"

"Didn't you try to fight them?" Bakugo asked.

Kirishima looked sheepish. "Okay, not going to lie, I feel kind of stupid about this."

"Only about this?"

You smacked Bakugo on the arm for that comment, but Kirishima only rolled his eyes and laughed. You assumed that he was used to this.

"That last set of fires were still growing, and I was in the building. But then I heard someone, so I went to check it out and found a girl. She was young, maybe around our age. I thought the whole place was empty. I'm guessing it was a trap because before I got much closer to her, someone hit me across the head from behind. I didn't have time to use my quirk, but I saw him. Next thing I knew, I was with the League. I don't know what happened to the girl."

"That is nothing to be embarrassed about," you told him.

"I should have been more aware of my surroundings. That's on me."

"You were captured by villains. It wasn't your fault. There was no way you could have known that he was going to do that to you."

"Anyway," Bakugo interrupted. "The asshole who hit you, did you get a good look at him?"

"Yeah," Kirishima said. "Dark hair, weird skin. Piercings. I think he would be pretty recognizable. Same dude who was there when they were questioning me."

"I know who that is," Bakugo nodded.

You looked up from the laptop. "You do?"

"If it's the same guy, he's a sadistic bastard. Fire quirk. We've connected to more than a few murders I've helped investigate, most involving young women. Really fucked up stuff."