TWELVE: BROKEN WINGS

As the news of the princess' sudden disappearance quickly spread throughout the country, everyone was distracted which was the perfect time for the Queen to really place a dent into the country—the country that people swore she loved whole-hearted. Her assistant watched, just watched mindlessly following a woman who is planning to kill her own citizens and many more. So, that she can be the one ruler in control.

Cameron and Riley were already awake at dawn, preparing themselves for the rigorous battle they had to fight soon. Both wore their signature gears in red and black—Cameron's dragon tattoo on full display. Riley, on the other hand, subjected to Cameron's hungry eyes as they took in her beauty.

"Can you stop looking at me like I'm food, jeez?" she told him.

Purposely, his hands found their way on her hips. "I'm not looking at you as if your food, baby. I'm imaging the day I get to rip this off you and really show you how I love you."

Riley then chuckled, leaning closer to his face purposely teasing him. "I guess we'll both have to hold back until then, hmm?"

Her fingers grazing his nape sent electric currents down his spine. His heart was sent racing, eye darker by the second. "How about I give a little preview now, love?" He was about to kiss her when she gave him a quick peck and pulled away, peeling his hands off her.

"How about no, hmm? I need my legs to function, okay?"

Unsatisfied, annoyed by her teasing, he pulled her right back into his arms again and kissed her. His hands made their way to her butt. Grabbing it, he earned a light gasp from her and took the opportunity to explore her. He tapped her thigh, letting her know that he wanted her to jump.

When she did, he caught her and carried her into their shared bedroom. Gently, he lowered her on the bed and hovered over her. Looking at her, he noticed the soft rosy tint on her cheeks. When she noticed that he noticed, she turned her face away getting shy. Cameron placed his hand on her chin, turning her face so their eyes meet again. His lips met hers again. Pulling away for air, he smiled at her, making sure she knew that she was safe. That he was going to be there for her whenever she was ready to finally let go.

He then went to her neck, leaving his mark. Getting up, he grabbed her hand and helped her up. "Let's go, save England, hmm?"

As she walked pass him, he took the opportunity to touch it, making her scowl at him. "Can you not?"

"Love you," he looked at her innocently.

She chuckled and shook her head. "Let's go."

***

They arrived at the Buckingham Palace not long after. When they entered the palace, the vibe was completely different. It was somber—as if life were completely sucked out of the building. However, it was already lifeless the day they walked in for their first shift as bodyguards to Prince Charlie and Princess Alyssa. Now, they weren't bodyguards. They went in drawing attention to themselves with how they look.

Riley and Cameron walked in the palace, bringing the darkest cloud of death they carried with them at all times. The royal guards steered clear from them just based off the aura they gave off. Just as they were about to head to Charlie's room on the east wing, James approached them.

"Rogue, Slash, how are you?" he greeted, as the royal guards kept a close ear listening to them.

Catching on, Cameron smiled. "We're good. How about you? I know things are tough considering Alyssa."

He sighed. "It has indeed. I hear that Miranda has asked you to investigate?"

Riley nodded. "Affirmative. Is Charlie here? We actually came to talk to him about that."

James nodded. "He should be in his room. He hasn't come out since he found out that Alyssa's missing."

"Thanks."

The two headed to Charlie's room leaving behind.

Riley knocked the door. "Charlie."

"Go away," he shouted.

"Charlie, it's me, Slash. Open the door."

"No," he said childishly.

"Charlie, if you want your little sister back, stop acting like a child and let us in so we can help you," Riley told him.

Charlie sighed and finally opened the door.

Once he did, Riley was shocked to see what she had seen. Charlie was a flat out, hot mess. He looked as if he hadn't slept in two days, nor put a brush through his hair for five and hasn't stepped in the shower for eight.

"Jesus, who dumped you, hmm?" Cameron asked, teasing him.

"Shut up, Rogue. How would you feel if Slash went missing, probably dead and the police hasn't done crap in the last forty-eight hours?"

"Well, I probably wouldn't be worried since I know she can handle herself," Cameron replied nonchalantly.

The two went inside the room as Charlie stepped aside.

"So, how are things?" Riley asked him as she sat on his bed.

"Hell, mother has been on me about taking the throne since she's thinking of leaving it. Not to mention, she's handing Alyssa off to some guy to acquire permanent control over the southern boarders. But she can't do that with Alyssa missing." Charlie explained.

Cameron smirked to himself knowing exactly what Charlie's talking about. "When did you last see Alyssa?"

"The last time I saw her was the night she went out with her friends. She told me she was going to the High-Hat Dance Club downtown," Charlie said. "They usually come back here around two in the morning."

Cameron looked at shocked. "High-Hat Dance Club?"

"Yeah, why?" he dragged out confused.

"Can you give me the names of her friends and their addresses?" Riley asked, knowing Cameron may have an idea on how to solve this quickly.

"Sure."

Charlie then grabbed a piece of paper and pen and wrote the names and addresses of Alyssa's friends who were with her. He handed the paper to Riley. "Please, bring her home safe."

"We'll do what we can," Riley giving him a comforting squeeze on his shoulder.

***

Whilst the queen believed, presumed that Riley and Cameron were distracted, she smirked. Grabbing her phone, as she looked down on the contract that she and Cameron signed for her to gain temporary control of the southern boarders, she dialed a number. Hearing the ring and its immediate end, the voice on the other line murmured in.

"Have they been planted?" she asked.

"Yes, your majesty."

"Good. Now, burn that building to the ground."

With that, she hung up. Proud to be the winner in this fight.

But was she?