THREE: QUEEN DEAREST

IT WAS FIVE IN THE MORNING.

This was nothing new, but Riley was awake. Instead of sitting up in the bed, she was sitting on a chair out on the balcony. With a bottle of water in hand, she took in the view. A dull, blue sky overtaken by angry clouds in its darkest gray form. Cars moving through traffic smoothly and better yet, the sun was still on the horizon coming up from the west. Taking in the view, she reminisced.

Even as the time progresses, he still affects me. She thought.

She can remember all the time she spent there-in the warehouse-fresh on her mind. Quite frankly, it had only been a month since Rodney was sent to prison. She should be happy, celebrating. But still, the mentality she has never changed. Her night-sleeps are still disturbed by gruesome nightmares that feel way too real. In fact, they were. They're memories. She could still hear him yell at her, feel his whip clash with her bare back. She could hear herself silently cry at night whilst hugging herself into a ball.

Snapping out of her daze, she felt a hand graze her shoulder. She relaxed, meeting Cameron's warm, comforting eyes. "Another nightmare?"

"Yeah," she sighed.

Cameron sat next to her. "What did he do this time?"

"You don't want to know," she told him afraid of how he'll react.

"What did he do, Riley?" he asked again, giving her a serious look.

"He...um..." she began, not wanting to say it.

"Riley." Cameron called warningly.

Riley sighed finally deciding to tell him what happened in her nightmare. She told him everything not leaving out any details. And the thing she feared most was happening. Cameron's eyes turned a shade darker, jaw clenched. Angry couldn't be a word to describe what Riley was witnessing. The look almost scared her.

With that deadly glint in his eyes, he stood up and went back inside. Riley followed behind him. He was about to pick up his phone when Riley touched his hand. She held it, looking at him with pleading eyes. "It's not worth it, please. D-don't. It's just a nightmare, that's all. Only nightmare."

He turned to her, pulling her closer by the waist. "Let me get rid of it."

"Of what? My nightmares?"

He took in her scent, his lips dreadfully close to her neck. "Of his touch, baby girl."

That's when she knew that deadly glint wasn't just a sign of one's future death. In fact, rage and desire were a combination bound to have a woman's knees weak, and sore for the next month. Realizing her fate, Riley quickly moved from him.

"Cam, you know I can't. I need more time," she looked away from him.

Cameron pulled her right back into his arms. "That's why I'm here, baby. I'm here to teach how to love yourself again. Let me help you." His words were so tender. His eyes soft. "Allow me to show you stunning you truly are."

"Cam," on the verge of tears, for the first time, she found herself in inner conflict. For a long time, she has been told that she was useless, just absolutely nothing but a tool, a toy for that monsters to play with. She was treated as such. Even when she looked in the mirror, criticizing she was blessed with. Big, plump lips, an hourglass-shaped body, beautiful dark brown skin. Blessed with so much melanin, gorgeous, luscious, long curly hair. What is there for her to hate so much? Especially, her dreamy big brown eyes.

"Let me show you, baby. Let me prove to you that Rodney was wrong, okay? You're not useless. You're not a tool. Nor his toy to play with or anyone's for that matter. You're a beautiful, powerful goddess that Rodney is afraid of. He's afraid because pretty soon you'll realize your worth. He's afraid that you're becoming a woman of strength and grace. Hell, you already are a woman of strength and grace. In a single a month, you have shown patience, consideration and so much passion. Although, things from the past still affect you in some way, you have never let it define you. You're a lot stronger than you realize, baby." He cupped her face. "Allow me to show you that these imperfections you think you have been a part of you. These imperfections are a part of what makes me fall for you harder than falling down two flights of stairs, alright?"

She laughed a little, giving him small smile. "You never cease to amaze me with your words, you know that?"

He smiled back at her. "Good, because I'm getting tired of you nitpicking at yourself every time you stand in front of a mirror."

She sighed. "As much as I want to stop, I can't help it."

His hands went below her waist. With a light grab and that flirty look in his eyes, a soft gasp left her lips. "I'm just going to have to make you stop." With that, he kissed her.

***

Stepping into the palace, eyes were on them. The men posted at the door frozen in their positions. It felt like a world leader was walking in. That's how much they held together. Everyone knew who they were, knew what they have done. The moment they reached the doors of the palace where the Queen was standing, they bowed to her showing respect but what she had done was unexpected.

"Rogue how are you, darling," she held her out.

Cameron gave her hand a firm shake. "I'm fine, your majesty."

"My, my, you become more handsome every time I see you," Riley noticed her hand grazing Cameron forearm.

"Thank you," he told her, stepping back. "Let's get to business, shall we?"

The queen led them to her office and once they were inside, the meeting began.

The queen sat on a chair near table that had her tea and snacks on it. Riley and Cameron sat next to each other.

The queen cleared her throat. "Tell me, what brings you both here, hmm?"

"We heard your chambers were being targeted. So, your parliament asked for our help."

"My husband sent for you, didn't he?" The queen asked knowingly.

"He might have," Cameron replied with a smirk.

The queen smiled a little. However, Cameron knew that smile too well. He could read like her book since she was terrible at hiding how she felt. Nothing like Riley who was a treasure locked with four different types of patted locks. Riley knew it as well. "How...sweet of him." The distaste in her voice was evident, more than enough to express her disdain toward her husband.

"Anyway, when do we start, your majesty?" Riley asked.

"Tomorrow."

Meanwhile, Cameron was suspecting something may happen. Something bad. So, he sent a small team of men to comb the area-more like all over London. Immediately, when his phone lit up. He took a glance at it.

And he was right.