Mates

(Y/N)'s POV

You woke up several hours later to the sounds of clanging pots and pans from the kitchen below. Yawning, you sat up in your bed and rubbed your eyes. You shifted the covers off of you and put on the shoes you had worn earlier, when Azriel had kissed you for the very first time just outside of your bedroom door. Your face flushed at the memory and you headed into the bathroom to freshen up.

As you tugged the knots out of your messy hair, your mind drifted again to thoughts of the mysterious Shadowsinger and his feelings for you. You couldn't deny that you had feelings for him and it was getting more and more difficult to control your emotions while you were in his presence. Whenever you were near him, it was as if all logical thought disappeared from your grasp and he managed to captivate all of your attention.

There was something special between the two of you and you felt it in your chest, getting stronger with each passing day. At first, you thought that your feelings had all been for nothing, that there was no way that Azriel would ever fall for you. But now he was and this was real. Your stomach felt like it was full of butterflies and your heart beat faster in your chest. Would he mention what had happened last night today?

Taking a deep breath to calm yourself, you pulled your hair back to the way you had it earlier this morning and opened your bedroom door. Luckily, there was no one in the hallway and echoes of conversation floated up the stairs. With a sigh of relief, you went to the kitchen in search of Rhysand to tell him about your idea. However, upon entering the kitchen, you saw that he was nowhere to be found. Instead, Cassian and Mor were joking at the table with Feyre while Amren scoffed and rolled her eyes. Azriel sat on a stool to the right of Feyre with one seat between them, silently observing the conversation with a small smile on his face. Sensing that someone was gazing at him, or in his general direction, he turned and met your eyes.

A blush crept onto your face and his eyes seemed to light up a bit more from your reaction and his small turned softer almost, making him look more at ease than before. Cassian and Mor picked up on where Azriel's attention was and looked back and forth between the two of you, then at each other, smirking. Feyre turned around as well and found you standing in the doorway.

"(Y/N)! Good morning! Care to sit down for some breakfast?" She asked with a smile.

"Sure." You said, still bright red, trying your best to ignore Azriel's gaze on you as you moved into the kitchen to grab a seat.

"Why don't you sit here next to me?" Feyre suggested, patting the seat next to her and Azriel.

Great, you thought, heading over to take the seat she had motioned to. Of course, I have to sit next to him and pretend like everything is fine between us.

Each step you took towards him felt harder than the last. Not to mention, he was still looking at you with his gorgeous eyes and a smug expression on his face. He was loving every second of this. Who knew that Azriel could be a bit haughty? Definitely not you. You blushed even harder and tried to avoid looking at him at all as you finally sat down, turning all of your attention towards Feyre and the others. Out of the corner of your eye, you saw Cassian and Mor share a smirk as they took in your bright red complexion.

"So how did you sleep?" Cassian asked you, smirk still intact across his face.

"...Fine." You said, glancing down at the wooden table and began tracing some of the lines in it.

"Uh huh. I'm sure you did." Cassian replied, causing you to look back up at him.

He sent you a wink and rose to leave. Mor rose up with him and with a knowing smile at you and Azriel, left the kitchen with Cassian close behind her. Feyre turned to you with an eyebrow raised in confusion. You merely shrugged and plucked another apple from a bowl on the table, studying it intently.