Nightmares

(Y/N)'s POV

Blood. Everywhere you looked, there was blood.

Screams were echoing all around as you stood among the chaos in the field of scarlet that now covered the once vibrant green plain of grass. The sky was bright red; Chaos and fighting surrounded you.

Death was lingering around you, its sickly aroma causing you to nearly vomit.

Quickly, you scanned the skies, searching for the familiar form of your mate. But Azriel was nowhere to be seen.

'What is happening?' You thought frantically, trying to find the source of the chaos.

A flash of a bright light and influx of static electricity coursed through the air. You turned your head and saw her high above the rest of everyone else, with an expression that looked both sad and overjoyed all at once. Tamisra.

You knew what you had to do to end this. You took off in a run towards the ledge of a cliff, hidden amongst the trees. You leapt off into the scarlet-hazed horizon.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You shot up, now fully awake, sweating a little from the nightmare. Your hands were gripping your hair at your scalp tightly, as if the feeling would shock you out of the state you were in.

Gods, you thought in horror. Was all of that real?

Slowly, you began to take in deep breaths, finally remembering that a certain someone was holding onto you tightly from behind, pulling you back into his chest. You blushed a little in embarrassment, but you were too busy worrying about calming yourself down to worry.

"Breathe. . . You're okay. Just breathe." Azriel said in a calming voice near your left ear.

You looked down at your body and noticed how badly you were shaking. When had you started shaking? Adrenaline was still coursing through your veins at an unimaginable speed.

You felt Azriel's arms hugging you tightly from behind and began to relax little by little. You took deep breaths in through your nose and out through your mouth, focusing on him and your surroundings. You were okay, you were safe. It was only a nightmare. A very realistic, terrifying nightmare.

"Are you alright?" Azriel asked you, his voice still in a whisper, as if speaking any louder would startle you.

"I'm alright. Just a terrible nightmare is all. It was so real and life-like." You told him, sighing and leaning back into him. Glancing up at the clock, you noticed that a couple hours had gone by.

"We haven't missed dinner yet, if that's what you're wondering. However, if we don't get downstairs soon, Cassian will have eaten everything." Azriel said to you, the smirk clear in his voice.

Laughing a little at your mate's joke, you began to slide off the bed and you felt Azriel reluctantly let go of you. Turning around to face him, you smiled and held out a hand to help him up. He took it, but just before he stood up, his eyes light up and he smiled back at you mischievously. Before you could even make out what had gotten into him, he pulled you quickly back towards him. Letting out a squeal in surprise, you fell into his chest and he wrapped his arms around you again and flung you back into the bed again.

"Az! We have to go eat soon." You laughed, trying to find a way to squirm out of his grasp. It was hopeless, you were stuck to him as tightly as he could hold onto you without hurting you.