4

Jaylee's POV

I was the first one who was awake in the entire household as I stood by the kitchen sink, staring out the window thinking about my parents. I couldn't get myself to sleep or find peace since my mind was racing with anxiety. I placed the cup of coffee near my lips as my eyes watched two birds pick at the ground, distracting my timid thoughts for a split second.

I almost didn't hear the soft shuffling behind me until I heard a familiar voice speak out to me. "Surprised to see you up so early. You're usually the one who likes to sleep in." Louis said as I glanced over at him briefly before I looked back out the window.

"I've changed since you last saw me. I'm the early bird now.... especially since my parents are missing." I replied more dryly than I intended to.

"I'm really sorry this happened to you Jaylee. I'm sure it's been tough for you." Louis tried to assure me as he took slower strides towards me.

"It's fine. I know they're out there, I know they're alive.... I just need to find them." I said with determination as I stared out the window with narrowed eyes.

"We'll do whatever it takes to help. But for now.... relax... stop worrying. Just spend some time with the guys and find some peace. We'll take care of you. This is your home." Louis commented as he placed his hand on my shoulder and towered over me.

Is it really my home? These are just my friends. I don't necessarily view them as my home. I can just trust and rely on them.

As sweet as it was hearing Louis wanting me to make this my home, it was quite different how he kept mentioning it almost every time he spoke to me. I knew this wasn't my home and he knew it just as well. So why does he keep stressing it?

"Have the guys found anything?" I asked as I tried to change the subject while I moved away from the window.

"We don't have a lead yet, but I'm sure we'll get one soon." Louis said as I nodded my head.

"But don't you worry about it. We'll take care of it all. You go sit down and watch a movie yeah? I'll make you whatever you want." Louis comforted as I narrowed my eyebrows. Why is he being overly sweet? I know Louis has changed his demeanor in front of me ever since I came back but it's just strange.

"I don't think I can relax right now. My head just won't stop coming up with all these scenarios." I sighed as I walked away while holding my cup.

"Since when did you drink coffee?" He asked as he looked down at my hand.

"I use to drink it. You just haven't seen this side of me." I said as I sat on the bar stool.

"Yeah. That's true. You know.... I actually really like seeing this side of you. I like seeing you comfortable and not all shy and timid. I'm glad you can tell us exactly how you feel." Louis smiled as I stared into his eyes.

"Well for one thing I'm not afraid of you guys anymore." I commented before I took a sip.

"I'm glad. I'm glad there's a trust now." He continued to smile as I started to slouch my shoulders.

"Of course. We have a bond that no one else would understand." I agreed.

"Exactly. And we'll always have it." He said happily as I began to feel like something was off.

I was getting a strange vibe from Louis as I saw how sentimental he was getting. He never expresses his feelings like that and he hardly expresses them at all. I didn't understand why Louis was even bringing this all up. It was like he was trying too hard to win me over or something. He didn't have a reason to be like this. But it could be because he wanted to show me comfort since I'm going through this stressful time.