Week 36

Hello, lovelies!

Welcome to Week 36 at BUBC! 

Hope you're all doing well and staying healthy. 
A few reminders to keep my bookworms in tip-top shape:
- Drink water
- Dial back on the caffeine (Not just coffee, but soda too!)
- Practice writing
- Get enough sleep. (It's important!)

I'll leave you with this quote from Aristotle to keep you motivated this week:

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
- Artistotle

_________________________

This week's pairs:

amansrose (A Deadly Game) - BlameSaiki (Those Who Struggle)

RogueWriter55 (The Clearing) - notzalayell (A White Rendezvous)

spelunkadunk (The Claimed: Rashika's Resistance) - amymarshmallow (The Princess Hex)

captaindekirk (Blue On Blue) - crazykotsyf (In Lucem) 

vinnie_kash (Seeing Through Selena) - Tuffybrown (Why Me)

Aphrodite_Nova (Institute of Salvation) - 1234jiana (The Necklace)

Shvaenyxx (Since) - FranklinBarnes (You Must Remember This)

cremedelaoreo (It Started At Camp) - Brandy17300 (Socially Awkward)

beautifulpoetic_ (Better Not Fall) - liann_aixa (Late Night, Tutus, and Melon Kisses)

________________

Question of the Week:

On a scale of 1 - 10, how attention-grabbing was the story?
Is the plot paced well (so far)? Or is it lagging, or too fast paced?

I realize the first half of this question is very relative, but I figure it's always good to have this type of input. 

Here are 5 tips for maintaining the reader's attention throughout the story:

1. Create curiosity and raise questions readers want to be answered.

This is where foreshadowing might come in handy. Hinting at specific plot points early on can build anticipation and make readers even more excited when they get to a big reveal. 

2. Show cohesion.

Show cohesiveness and consistency in your writing style. Try to stay true to your genre and your main themes. 

In a drama, for example, it's fine to sprinkle in a few comedic moments, but the main plot should always be kept in mind, and you should come back to it eventually. 

3. Obey their own internal logic.

Make sure your world-building is consistent as well. Whether the story is based in a fantasy land, or in New York City, make sure you remember the details to prevent plot holes.

If possible, keep an outline of your plot/chapters. It'll make the process a whole lot easier. 

4. Avoid cliche and create surprise

In some cases, cliches are inevitable or vital to a story. Like the main character being "the chosen one" or love-triangles, and yada-yada. That's fine! There's a reason they're cliche, people love reading those types of stories (me included :p)

That being said, it's important we find unique elements to steer away from the cliche. Giving the plot original details and moments will make your story much more memorable and enjoyable.

5. Give readers something worth the investment of time and effort it takes to read.

When you're writing, it'd be good to ask yourself: "Would I enjoy reading this?"

If the answer's unclear, think on how you can improve your story. Maybe you have too many filler chapters, or maybe you can work on your descriptions. 

There's always room for improvement, so work hard at making your stories the best they can be! :)

Here's a link to this week's article. They provide brief examples of these bullet points:
https://www.nownovel.com/blog/how-to-plot-novel/

____________________

Remember that after reading and commenting on the 3 chapters of your fellow bookworm, you have to let me know you're finished, in the comment section of THIS chapter.

And answer the question of the week.

Until next Monday, bookworms!

- l i a n n -