Week 42

Hello, lovelies!

Welcome to Week 42 at BUBC!

Hope you've all been well and healthy. I've just gotten my vaccine this week, so I'm hyped!
(That in no way means I'm safe from covid, but at least there's less of a chance I'll get infected XD)

Hope you all get the chance to do the same soon!
Let's get vaccinated :D

Hope you all get the chance to do the same soon!Let's get vaccinated :D

__________________________________

This week's pairs:

amansrose (A Deadly Game) - RogueWriter55 (The Clearing)

notzalayell (A White Rendezvous) - crazykotsyf (In Lucem)

spelunkadunk (The Claimed: Rashika's Resistance) - captaindekirk (Blue On Blue)

amymarshmallow (The Princess Hex) - TheSpadeAndAce (Cursed to Live: The Awakening)

Tuffybrown (Why Me) - cremedelaoreo (It All Started at Camp)

beautifulpoetic_ (When We Met) - Yanzieyy (ATLANTIA: Rise of Rebellion)

Cothuyet0 (The Plane-Walkers Guidebook) - Aphrodite_Nova (Institute of Salvation)

__________________________________

Question of the Week:

Did you see any use of symbols or a motif in the story? What do you think they mean.
If you didn't see any, do you think the story could benefit from adding some? How so?

Motif vs Symbols

We're back to learning about literary devices this week and how to use them!

What is a symbol?
Symbols or symbolism is when you use a certain element (word or object) to represent something beyond literal meaning. 

Let's take a single rose for example. Yes, it's a flower, but in the right context:

The flower itself can mean romance or love. 
The thorns can mean the pain love brings with it.
Its falling petals can represent a crumbling relationship. 

The list goes on. You can give meaning to anything and everything you want.

Using symbolism in a story can add a lot of emotional depth to a story. Using symbols, instead of stating things plainly, adds a more poetic touch to your prose, which can bring your writing to a whole new level. 

What is a motif?
Now, a motif is a recurring element or symbol throughout the story. A motif can help the readers further understand the themes, ideas, and deeper meaning of a story. 

So, for example, if I used the rose in a story and I kept representing and talking about the flower throughout the chapters. This would be my motif. It's a motif representing love, romance, heartbreak, etc. 

A single symbol cannot be a motif.

A repeating symbol can be a motif. 

They're very similar devices but are not the same. Learning the difference can help us use them to our advantage. 

Do you have a motif for your story?
Do you use symbolism often?

Maybe experiment with the concept in your next writing session. You never know if you'll come up with something cool :D

Read more about motif vs symbolism here:
https://www.masterclass.com/articles/motif-vs-symbols-in-writing-similarities-and-differences-between-literary-devices#what-is-a-symbol-in-writing

__________________________________

Remember that after reading and commenting on the 3 chapters of your fellow bookworm, you have to let me know you're finished, in the comment section of THIS chapter.

And answer the question of the week.

See you next Monday!

- l i a n n -