Sapphire Simps

The sun rose above the horizon, shining its light on the world. It was another morning, another day. Doc checked the time on his communicator that every hermit had on their wrist. The numbers 6:00 AM flashed in his face and the creeper hybrid smiled to himself. Surely no hermit would be awake at such an early hour, which meant no one would be able to witness what Doc would do next.

As Doc walked back into his half a mansion, the hybrid glanced across the fence into his annoying neighbor's half a mansion. Fortunately for Doc, it seemed like Bdubs was either sleeping or just wasn't here. He let out a breath he didn't know he was holding before Doc continued on his way into his storage area.

After rummaging around in his chests, Doc finally managed to find the thing that he was looking for and smiled triumphantly as he took it out. The creeper brought the disc closer to his face to check whether or not the black object had been scratched or damaged whatsoever. Upon seeing that the disc was neither damaged nor scratched, Doc grinned and trotted over to his jukebox and put the disc in.

Now, Doc had always loved to watch people dance. He especially loved how elegant ballet and waltz looked. Sometimes he'd try it himself, alone when no one was watching. He didn't like the idea of the hermits watching him dance, especially Bdubs. They would just tease him for it, despite Doc's rough attitude at times, he was secretly self-conscious about the things he did around the hermits, incredibly anxious about what the others thought of him.

Doc took in a deep breath, beginning to let the music carry his worries and fears away. He swayed with the song, humming along to the music as he danced elegantly through his storage area. He felt like a weight on his chest was slowly being removed, as if he could breathe freely without caring what a soul thought. With no one around, he could sway carelessly, dancing with the music as the time slipped away. It was like he was lost in his own little world, the hybrid didn't even notice the sound of footsteps beginning to draw closer, so lost in his movements and the song that played on his jukebox.

A voice slightly chuckled, Doc's movements stopping as his whole body froze, the creeper hybrid cussing underneath his breath as he turned to face Bdubs, who was standing in the doorway of the German hermit's half of the mansion. He was choking back his laughter, Bdubs snickering after watching Doc dance carelessly, although the cyborg's face began to burn at his laughter. Dancing felt like the one thing he could do freely, and now that his neighbor had spotted him, Doc was beginning to feel restrained. He quickly shut off the music before turning to the shorter hermit, enraged and anxious as he spoke. 

"What do you want!" Doc snapped harshly, Bdubs bursting out into laughter. The creeper felt like he had been punched in the gut. He should have gone someplace more secure, more private and safe, now all the trust and safety of his base was gone within an instant. Doc groaned loudly as he turned away, trying to come up with an excuse for what he had been doing.

"You were dancing!" Bdubs teased as he caught his breath after laughing so hard at the tall creeper's graceful movements, Doc's cheeks felt like they were beginning to spark flames. He was embarrassed and upset, he wanted to punt Bdubs back to whatever hole he crawled out of.

"You're just like everyone else!" Doc snapped carelessly, Bdubs stopping his relentless teasing as he noticed tears beginning to brim at the ends of the creeper's non-robotic eye. "This was the one thing I felt like I could do, Bdubs! Mumbo and Impulse are better at redstone, you and Grian can build amazing creations, I can't help but always feel second!"

"Doc, I-"

"I knew this was stupid when I first tried it, I knew that the hermits would think it was dumb, and I knew you would tease me. The one thing I felt safe and comforted doing, now I can't do it without knowing that you and the others will think I look stupid. This was never a good idea."

"Doc I never said that.." Bdubs started as Doc's glare shifted to the ground, he didn't want to look at his neighbor, too embarrassed to even speak. "Hell, I'd even say you looked good while dancing, you did it with such confidence!"

Doc didn't speak, his neighbor frowning at the silent creeper, but a grin spread across the shorter hermit's face as an idea popped into his mind.

Bdubs walked up to Doc and turned the music back on. Doc looked from Bdubs before he looked away nervously once more.

"Come on, I'll do it with you," Bdubs smirked and began moving around the creeper hybrid in his best attempt at dancing. Now it was Doc's turn to laugh.

"Just dance with me idiot," Bdubs said and pulled Doc close to him. The smaller hermit put his hands on Doc's shoulders and they began to sway to the music.

"I don't know how to dance like this," Doc whispered.

"Me neither," Bdubs whispered back. Doc rested his hands on Bdubs' waist and he finally gave in. Letting the music take over.

Sometimes they would step on each other's toes or the music would stop and they would be left to dance in silence. They just laughed it off and kept going, despite the awkwardness.

After a while of this Bdubs was suddenly aware of just how close the two were actually standing to each other. He looked away from Doc and fought a blush. He felt the taller hermits palm on his cheek, pulling his face back so they were looking at each other.

"Doc..." Bdubs whispered tentatively.

Doc released his hand and responded, "yes?"

"Nothing."

The two smiled and Doc pulled Bdubs into his chest and the evening continued on. The music slowed down to match their heart rates as they swayed. Crickets soon became part of the symphony and the sun started to fall closer and closer to the horizon.

"It's getting late, I should go," Bdubs said to Doc and wiggled out of the hybrids arms. A small part of him wanted to stay there in Doc's arms forever.

"Thank you for dancing with me," he responded. 

"Anytime," Bdubs winked.

Doc made up his mind right then and there to never be ashamed. From that day on, he would block out all of the jeers and all of the laughter and he would dance along to the music that only he heard. As long as the sun shines, he will listen to this music, and won't ever stop it, or let it stop. Doc stared out at the sunset, as Bdubs flew off on his elytra, finally he felt happy. Happy to be alive.

Score: 10