Sapphire Simps

Prompt: Scar Can't Resist Yearning (SCRY)

Scar was over at Grian's mansion for a little chat with the gremlin. It was nice to catch up with his neighbor after a meeting with Bdubs. They talked about all sorts of things such as how Scar's Aqua town was coming along and Grian's pranks. "And then I scared poor Mumbo Jumbolio in the Shopping District! You should have seen his face! It was priceless!" Grian laughed, clutching his sides at the memory. The mayor giggled along with him, finding the story hilarious.

Once the laughter subsided, a silence fell upon the two hermits, neither one knowing what to talk about next. Suddenly, Grian grinned at Scar.

"Hey, have you heard of the news?" Scar looked at the gremlin, bewildered.

"What news? Did something happen?"

"Bdubs and Doc got together; they're dating now!" And just like that, Scar's world shattered into a million pieces. The mayor could feel his heart plummet as he heard the words tumble out of Grian's mouth. 

Bdubs, his assistant, his campaigner, his friend. Scar felt like crying out in anguish right there and then. The love of his life was with someone else.

"Isn't it great? I get to tease the heck out of the two now! I- Scar? You ok there?"

Scar blinked rapidly at the mention of his name. Then he remembered that he was still at Grian's. Grian watched the mayor, face laced with concern.

"I- uh yeah, I'm o-ok..." Scar mumbled as he stood up "Sorry Grian, I just remembered I needed to do something. It was nice talking with you." Grian waved and nodded his head in understanding.

"Alright, see ya later." Grian smiled. Scar attempted to return the smile but it came out more like a grimace. With a curt nod, Scar used a firework and shot into the air, heading towards the direction of Bdubs base. Scar needed to go confront Bdubs about a certain matter.

Overcome with longing, Scar landed at Bdubs' base. The brunette searched around for the short hemit, checking inside each carefully constructed house. Even just walking around the place Bdubs had built with his own hands was enough to send Scar spiraling.

He finally found Bdubs cleaning up chests in front of his most recent building.

"Bdubs," Scar shouted.

Said hermit turned and waved to his friend, "Heya Scar," he smiled.

Scar walked up to Bdubs and suddenly all words abandoned him. What was he even supposed to say?

"Do you need something? I have to go meet up with Doc soon," Bdubs said and finished up organizing.

That was enough. Jealousy crept up Scar's throat and everything came spilling out.

"I hate that you're with Doc."

Pain flashed in Bdubs' eyes but Scar continued.

"I know he makes you happy but I could make you happy... I've been right in front of you this whole time and you've just ignored me," his words were stinging, "Why would you want to be with him? I am so much better than him Bdubs," Scar was shouting now.

Bdubs took a step back from the angry mayor. Tears pricked the corners of his eyes.

Scar noticed and stepped down slightly, truth began to spill out of him, "It hurts to see you smile Bdubs. I want it to be for me. Because of me. I want to be the one that brings you joy. You may not know it but you have taught me to find beauty in a cruel world. I'm afraid Doc won't treat you how you deserve to be treated."

Bdubs had begun crying now.

"Fine. I don't know what you want. Why can't I just be good enough for you? What's so horrible about me?" Scar kept pushing.

The other boy had gone silent. Anger brewing in his stomach.

"What the hell is wrong with you Bdubs? Why don't you want me? Why are you acting so selfish?"

Scar felt horribly sick after what he had said, the words that he had said to Bdubs repeating, over and over again in his mind. He couldn't forget his feelings for his assistant, he yearned to be with the male that made him happy. The mayor wanted Bdubs to see why he was better, but the words didn't come out right when he spoke to the assistant. Bdubs most likely thought that Scar was heartless and cruel after what he said.

"He'll never love me," Scar mumbled quietly as tears ran down his face, the wind brushing through his brunette hair. He flew through the jungle, landing on the bright-green grass in his magical village. With his stomach tied into knots, Scar trudged over to Larry the Snail and climbed the ladder, heading towards his bed to curl up and hide away from all the things he felt.

"Maybe if I hide long enough, he'll forget I even did that.." Scar said weakly as he pulled the purple blankets off his bed, wrapping them around himself as he laid down against the soft mattress below him. Jellie jumped onto the bed, softly meowing in question at Scar's lack of joy and energy. She rubbed her head against Scar's leg, which normally made the mayor smile, but he barely even felt it.

He stayed curled up in bed for as long as he could, knowing that if he ever tried to talk to Bdubs again the jealousy that twisted his stomach would infect his words, rotting them into sour and cruel sentences that he couldn't bear to speak. Scar cried to himself as he thought, did he truly love Bdubs, or was he mad that Bdubs wasn't spending time helping the mayor's every need?

Grian had visited Scar time after time, but he never spoke. He only spent a few moments studying Scar's deteriorated condition before leaving once more, Bdubs must have told him everything. He heard the door open, expecting another silent visit from Grian. Scar let an annoyed sigh slip from between his lips.

"If you're not gonna say anything, why are you visiting m-" Scar stopped himself as he sat upright, Bdubs at the end of Scar's bed, completely silent. The mayor started to cry upon spotting his assistant, all the wretched things he had said echoing in his head.

"I'm so sorry.." Scar cried with his voice broken and tearful, the brunette jumping out from underneath the covers of his bed and wrapping his arms around Bdubs, sobbing quietly as Bdubs said nothing. He let Scar cry, holding the mayor in his arms. Neither spoke until a few moments of peace, Bdubs clearing his throat after Scar pulled away, wiping his tears.

"I-I can't say I love you."

"I know."

"I'm sorry." They both said at the same time. It was silent for another moment, but Bdubs let out a sigh and turned away, leaving without another word.

Scar felt like jealousy was eating at his thoughts. He wanted to stop Bdubs and express his love to him.

But Scar didn't say anything.

He just let Bdubs go.

Score: 9