9: Uma falha

uma falha; a failure

Smoky Mountains, Tennessee

Why was I hiking to a bunch of lost dogs for a lost man/dog/dead baby? HUH?

This was my life now and I am going to have to accept it. I miss telling everybody to fuck off for no apparent reason. I'm bored.

"You okay? Is Ray getting heavy," Klaus asked Stefan. "Wow. That almost sounds completely genuine," I said petting my puppy, Hiraeth. "I'm fine," Stefan said. "Are you sure about that? We've been walking for quite some time now. if you need some water or a little sit-down..." Klaus suggested. I was kind of offended that he didn't ask me this time. He has been requesting to carry me since we got here.

"You know, I get that we're, uh-- we're stuck here together, Klaus, but if we can maybe just skip the chit chat, it'd be great," Stefan said. "So much brooding. Your self-loathing is suffocating you, my friend," Klaus said. "I, personally, think it's you," I spoke truthfully.

"Maybe it's cause I'm a little tired of hunting werewolves. We've been at it all summer," Stefan said. "Thanks to our pal, Ray, we've found ourselves a pack. There," Klaus said as we saw a group of werewolves having a regular day until we got there.

Stefan dropped Ray's body right where everybody could see him. "Ray! Oh, my god. What's going on? Who are you," a girl yelled running over to the body.

"The important question is who am I. Please forgive the intrusion. My name is Klaus," Klaus said and the girl slowly stood back up. "You're the hybrid," the girl said. "You've heard of me. Fantastic," Klaus smiled and Hiraeth barked. "Shhh. You're encouraging him," I said.

"It's fascinating, actually--a werewolf who isn't beholden by the moon, a vampire who doesn't burn in the sun. A true hybrid," Klaus said and Ray snapped awake, gasping for air. "Excellent timing, Ray. Very dramatic," Klaus said. "What's happening to me," Ray asked breathing hard.

"Stefan," Klaus looked to Stefan. "Are any of you human? Your friend here needs human blood to complete his transition to vampire. If he doesn't get it he will die," Stefan announced.

"What about the girl? She's human," Someone yelled in the crowd. I continued to pet my dog while sitting on the big log with Klaus. Of course, he was sitting on the other side of it against his wishes. "I'm not human. Imma fairy. And potentially your fairy godmother," I said smiling.

"She's not human. It doesn't take much. Just a sample. Anyone? A boyfriend, a girlfriend along for the ride... You," Klaus announced he sped to the guy that was human and bit his arm. One of the girls tried to stop him but Klaus held her back.

I felt the energy in the area become much more violent. Not a good, ideal environment for me or my new dog. "Hiraeth has to pee," I said and he looked at me funny. I just shook my head.

I walked into the woods with Hiraeth walking beside me. I figured he'd have to stretch his legs instead of me carrying him all the time. The truth is Klaus looked really-- how do you say, appealing at the moment so I couldn't let him know that.

Carolien once told me that sometimes vampires can smell desperation or arousal. I think she was lying.

Point is, I was definitely aroused at the moment.

I think I was walking really far from the group because I heard distant chatter. I rushed with Hiraeth behind to the talking hoping they could help me. They probably would be killed but at least they weren't Klaus or a bipolar, brooding Stefan.

"Damon, this is the closest that we've been to them since they left. I'm not going home," I heard. "Klaus thinks you died when he broke the curse. That makes you safe. This, this is not safe, I heard and recognized as Damon. I ran even faster this time carrying Hiraeth. "Elena. Damon," I whispered yelled. "Cameron," Alaric said and my eyes widen.

"Cam," Elena said soaked in the water with Damon with her. "Woah. Am I interrupting something because if so--" Elena basically ran up to hug me wet in all. "I got your card," Elena said. "Good. But now I have your scent on me," I complained and wiped the dog on me. "Who's mutt is that," Damon said rudely. "Mine, jackass," I huffed.

"So you leave for 3 months and you have a dog. Sounds like everything is good here so we can go," Damon said. "No. This just means that he's here. We have to stay," Elena said. "No. this means that Klaus is here and you need to go. He just turned a bunch of hybrids and the full moon is approaching. Adios, amigo," I fussed. "For once I'm taking Cam's side," Alaric said.

"Shit. Shit. Hell. Hell. Gotta go," I freaked out. "Wait. Where are you going? We're here to bring you home," Elena said. I looked at her like she was coming straight out of the nuthouse. "Hiraeth. There is no home for me anymore. I'm being held, prisoner. Yesterday was my birthday. Klaus got me this puppy. I saw Stefan ugly cry. I'm hunting down human dogs. My life is over," I complained. "Don't be silly," Elena said.

"If Stefan or Klaus catches you here you all are dead," I stomped off.

I walked and walked and it highly confused me on how I got this far into the woods.

Nigth fall came and I had to get back to Stefan and Klaus. I let Hiraeth down for a bit because my arms were hurting and when I looked up I saw a wolf. I stood there looking into its eyes and something felt so familiar with them. Their color.

I knew this had to be one of Klaus's hybrids. Probably Ray. "Cam. Don't move," I heard someone say. "Here doggie doggie," Damon said. Ray chased after Damon but then Stefan showed up and ripped out his heart.

"Fancy meeting you here," Damon said breathing hard. "What part of don't follow me anymore got lost in translation, Damon," Stefan asked. "I'm following Cam. Might want to take that up with your girlfriend. You don't want her chasing you, I'd stop with the late-night phone calls," Damon said. "I didn't call her," Stefan lied.

"Sure you did. She's not gonna give up on you," Damon complained. "She has to. Because I'm never coming back. Why don't you get her home? See if you can keep her there this time," Stefan said and I began to walk away with my dog.

"What a day. Hmm," I said and Hiraeth barked. "Like your first day with me? I doubt it," I said and he rubbed his head on my leg. I laughed and kept the smile on my face until I got back to the group.

"You look depressed," I said to Klaus and Stefan followed after me. "They went rapid. Some of them I killed. The others just... bled out. In the end... they're all dead. UGHHH," Klaus screamed and he threw the beer bottle in his hand. I felt for the guy and I had just realized why this was important to him.

He doesn't want to be alone. He wants his right-hand man and a group of allies/friends. But he goes about doing that the wrong way. Maybe he didn't know the right way which encouraged me to do this.

"I did everything I was told! I should be able to turn them. I broke the curse. I killed a werewolf. I killed a vampire. I killed the doppelganger," Klaus said. On second thought, I think I'll just stand right here with my puppy.

"You look like hell," Klaus said looking at Stefan who had a look of realization on his face along with death. "Last I checked, I'm dying... and you don't want to heal me. I had to take him out. I didn't have a choice. He, uh, he attacked Cam. I failed you. I'm sorry. Do what you have to do," Stefan said and my eyes widen and my jaw dropped.

"It should have worked," Klaus said. He went to grab an empty beer bottle and poured his blood in there from his wrist. "Bottoms up. We're leaving. It appears you two are the only comrades I have left," Klaus said and walked away.

I turned to Stefan with a guilty face. "Is it bad that I want to feel bad but can't," I said. I tried to make that make sense. "That, that doesn't even make sense, Cam. C'mon," Stefan said and he drunk the blood. I walked with him after Klaus.

A/N: I absolutely adore it when yall comment. It just brightens my day since my mom had taken my phone over a month ago and she won't give it back. Yall have a good Spring Break!

What are yall doing for spring break????