-1.8 the letter

chapter eighteen!

"HEY, MR. LAWRENCE," greets Alex with a wonderful smile. She always thought it was a pleasure to see the man— he was funny and had a good heart, from what she'd seen. She had another long shift at the diner that day, and had been walking back from taking someone's order when she'd spotted the man. Johnny was with a older man, one who just had a bad vibe radiating from him. She nods to him too, politely, "Mr. Lawrence's friend."

"Hey Alex," said Johnny with a smile. "Miguel told me about you and Noah, how're you holding up?"

Alex shifted a bit on her feet, tucking the notepad into her pocket. She gave the man a lopsided grin, "I'm okie dokie. Congrats on the tournament, by the way. I know I'm not really into that sort of stuff, but I know you guys worked really hard."

"Thanks, kid. I appreciate you showing up, even if you only saw the last few minutes," he told her honestly. Miguel had thoroughly explained why Alex wasn't into karate, and understood completely. To him, life just seemed to have given Alex the short straw.

"Yeah, it's no problem. Anyways, I've got to get back to work," she started, backing away from the booth, doing finger guns at Johnny as she did so. "It was nice seeing you, though. You two have a wonderful day!"

"You too, Alex," he said with a grin, before turning back to the stranger.

"A student of yours?" asked Kreese, intrigued. This girl seemed tough but weak at the same time.

"Did you not hear a word that she just said? No, she's a friend of Miguel and my neighbor," explained Johnny, a frown on his face. He didn't like being here with Kreese, not at all.

"Anyways, where was I? Ah yes, brumation..."

━━━━━━━☆☆━━━━━━━

A few days later, Alex ran into Robby. By know, she'd heard that he and Mr. L had been spending the majority of their time working on karate and such. While she wasn't surprised, she was sad that she never really saw her friend at work anymore. Especially now that her and Noah broke up; seeing as how it was hard to avoid him and she had no one to help her do so besides Seth— who was literally no help at all. She was at the grocery store, buying ingredients for brownies and cupcakes for a fundraiser she was going to attend the following weekend. She had decided to also buy a few boxes of Frosted Flakes and Lucky Charms because of how her and Miguel had eaten all of the ones she had while watching the Mighty Ducks.

She was debating on whether or not she could afford to buy the family size box when she heard Robby's pleasant voice from behind her. "Holy shit, Alex?"

She spun around, a grin on her face. "Robby? Dude, it feels like it's been forever."

She then pulled him into an unexpected hug, one that took him a moment to reciprocate. He shouldn't have been surprised— Alex was basically the nicest person he'd ever met, and seemed to be a very hug-ey type of person. When the hug ended, Alex jumped up and down a bit, Robby laughing at her excitement.

"Yeah, it has. I've kind of missed working with you and Seth," he admits, grinning at the noirette. Looking down at the items in her basket, he tilted his head. "Is it someone's birthday or something?"

Alex briefly looks down at the cake and brownie mixes before laughing softly. "Oh, uh, no. Actually, I'm making them to take to the nursing homes this weekend. I already had some of the stuff, but I felt like I should make extra for the staff because they probably don't get enough recognition for doing their job. But, now that I think about it, I should probably make some gluten and peanut free cookies too just in case anyone has allergies. Oh my god, and sugar free for the diabetics."