Chapter 1: Meeting for the First Time

Despite it only being five in the afternoon, Bruce was exhausted, feeling a headache blossom the minute he stepped into the manor.

It hasn't been a year since he had returned to Gotham and he already wanted to go back to traveling around the world. The only reason he was even in Gotham again was due to finding out that someone was trying to sell WE from right under Bruce. The stupidity.

Just when he thought he could get a break, he found an unexpected guest in his study.

Bruce didn't know what to expect when he saw Talia in his study, holding what he assumed to be a duffel bag.

The last time he saw her was roughly a year or two ago...after he found out she is part of the League of Assassins.

Why was she here? And with a duffel bag, no less.

Usually, duffel bags caused him to be wary, but this time around, it set off various alarms to go off in his head.

Why was it laid gently on her lap?

Why was it small?

Why did it have netting and straps around it?

Why was it fidgeting?

"What are you doing here Talia?" Bruce finally decided to acknowledge the woman.

"Beloved, it's nice to see you too." Talia said softly, setting down the duffel bag gently on his chair, Bruce now realizing that she wasn't in her usual attire, but instead in a nice sundress and cardigan.

"What do you want?" Bruce growled, Talia walking up to him, placing a finger on his lips, hushing him. He quickly pulled it away from him, noticing the soft smile on her face.

"You'll wake the baby." Talia softly addressed, looking over at the bag she had left on his chair.

"Ba-"

"She's my daughter...or rather, our daughter." Talia watched as Bruce looked at her with wide eyes, looking at the bag and then at Talia. "She's a product of our passionate night in Paris, remember that night? At the suite you reserved for the two of us, about a year ago?"

"How can I forget that?" Bruce asked tenderly, making his way to the duffel bag that started to fidget some more.

He peered inside the bag, which turned out to be a customized baby carrier. He was met with the most stunning green eyes he had ever seen, reaching towards the baby before he stopped himself from caressing her face. "Are you-"

"I assure you she is yours. But if you still have doubts, feel free to run some tests." Talia spoke, Bruce feeling her rest her head against his arm. "Since she is ours, I want you to have her."

"Have?" Bruce repeated, tasting the anger underlying his words. A child wasn't-

"Father wants her dead." Talia bluntly stated, Bruce feeling her nails dig into his arm. Oh. So that's why she was here. "A bastard out of wedlock, a product made from broken traditions...and a girl at that." Bruce watched as she frowned. "He said he would have forgiven our little elopement had Amira been born-"

"Amira?" Bruce said breathlessly, noticing how gently the name rolled off. Finally giving into his curiosity, he reached out to touch the little girl's face, only for her hand to reach for his own first. Her stubby little fingers wrapped around his fingers, grasping it tightly.

It was only then that Bruce truly understood how small she was, how defenseless she was against the world and how heartless Ra's was...even to his own blood.

"That's the name I chose for her." Talia said softly, walking up to Amira and taking her out gently from the carrier.

The girl remained still until she was placed in her father's arms.

Amira squirmed against Bruce's hold until she stopped a few seconds later. Now snuggled closely against Bruce's embrace, Amira looked at her father before closing her eyes. "She already loves you."

"Talia." Bruce looked at Amira and then at his beloved. "I'm not-"

"I- no. We have no other choice, no other option Bruce." Talia placed her hand over Bruce's arm, patting down Amira's tuft of midnight hair. "Either she lives under your watch or," Talia shut her eyes, her lips curving downwards a bit. "Or I would be forced to put her six feet under."

Bruce didn't say another word, knowing that was to be a promise if Bruce says no. Luckily, that wasn't the case.

"I promise to take care of her." Bruce said, pulling Talia into an embrace, planting a kiss on her temple. "Amira will be safe from Ra's Al Ghul as long as she remains here, under my watch."

"That I hope." Talia responded, letting herself cry as she caressed Amira's face one last time. "Take care, my princess. Know that every second that we are apart, I will always be thinking of you."

With a final kiss placed on the little girl's forehead, Talia left the manor, never to be seen again.