Chapter 10: Consolation + Salt

"Meine lieblingsschwester! [My favorite sister!]" Dick yelled, scooping Amira into a hug, causing her to panic.

Why did she agree to let him pick her up at the airport?

The flight towards the States wasn't bad and if anything, was thankful that it was silent. It was something she needed after accidentally yelling at Tikki like that. She knew she should've run the decision by Tikki, but Amira knew the outcome if she did that.

"I'm your only sister." Amira said, smiling as she returned a hug.

"It's just that it's been so long! Look at you! You've grown bigger than the last time I've- when did you cut your hair? Why didn't you tell me?! And please don't tell me you did it yourself. There's salons for that reason!"

Amira allowed herself to be examined, feeling herself relax. "Really gonna miss being able to braid your hair." Amira smiled, quickly throwing herself at Dick.

"I've missed you, you blöde [idiot]."

-----

Dick dropped Amira's suitcase with a thud, closing the door behind him as Amira slumped into a nearby sofa.

"So this is your place." Amira said, looking around the apartment, quickly getting up when she saw Dick had a balcony.

She hurried over and gently pushed the door open, adoring the view.

"Looks just like Gotham, doesn't it?" Dick looked out towards the streets, watching as cars drove by.

"Yeah, just without the gargoyles." Amira said with a sigh, looking at the dark streets and cloudy sky.

Amira pulled her sweater to her body, getting chills from the evening breeze.

"I know we talked about this as we were in the car, but...are you sure about staying here? If it's about not having a costume for the party, I could always just stay behind and-"

"Like I told you earlier, I'll be fine. Plus, there's a few things I want to do before settling for the night. Sure, I'm not going to be for long, but that's the whole reason I want to stay behind." Amira cut off, leaning into the sounds that she so dearly missed.

Paris could never beat the atmosphere that Bludhaven and Gotham had. "So go on ahead and tell the guys I said hi. I'll be fine."

As much as she wanted to join Dick and hangout with Wally, Vic and Garth, Amira needed to hold herself back.

Dick's mouth turned into a thin line, tapping his finger against his arm, looking at Amira for any doubt. He finally decided to let out a sigh and run a hand through his hair.

"I know you Amira. And I know that if I try and force you to come with me, I know you're going to find a way to sneak out." Dick pulled out a bracelet, a tiny ladybug hanging from it.

Amira took it and slipped it on, hearing the faintest click go off. A tracker, huh. "It's a tracker. And no, I'm not going to check on it unless you press it."

"Press it?"

"When you press on the ladybug's head, it will send me a notification that you're in trouble." Dick pulled Amira into a hug, squeezing her. "Please. Be careful on your-"

"I will." Amira swore, pulling away from her brother. "I will be alright, don't worry."

-----

Tikki wanted to scream for Amira to slow down, but swallowed back her screams after remembering what happened last night.

She didn't feel like she was in the right to scold the girl, nonetheless tell her what to do when they were no longer in Paris.

Not only that, but seeing Amira smiling at every step she walked also added to the pressure to hold back.