Chapter 3: Siblings

Dick sat at the back of Mr.Wayne's car, still trying to wrap his mind about what happened earlier that night.

His parents were dead...and it was all his fault.

He could have warned them. Because he saw the rope start to unravel when he watched his mother swing over towards his father. If only he had said something, anything to-

"Are you alright back there, Richard?" Bruce asked him, Dick snapping from his thoughts.

"I'm...fine." Dick quickly replied. "And you can call me Dick."

"Well then, we're here Dick. Welcome to Wayne Manor."

Dick looked out the car window, his jaw dropping at the manor in front of him.

It looked straight out of one of those vampire films!

-----

When Dick was brought in to live with Bruce, he didn't expect to see another child there.

She was smaller than him, at least seven years of age. Her midnight hair was in a short bob cut, her green eyes filled with curiosity and wonder, but also sadness. From her room entrance, she stared at the trio that walked towards Dick's new room.

"I didn't know you adopted other kids like me." Dick said, feeling a bit uneasy under her stare.

"She's not adopted."

"She's not?"

"She's my daughter." Bruce clarifies as Alfred opens Dick's new room. "Her name's Amira."

"You have a daughter?" Dick asks, setting down his luggage. "I didn't know that."

"No one does." Bruce says as he looks out the window. "If people found out about her," Dick watched as his face saddened. "Let's just say something bad will happen to her...or me."

At those words, Dick frowned, finally taking in the reason he was here in the first place.

"Don't worry much about it Master Dick." Alfred spoke up, placing a hand in his shoulder. "Why don't you help me unpack your stuff and make a list of things you want to make this room feel more...at home?"

"I suppose so." Dick said, going over to help Alfred, seeing Bruce leave the room from the corner of his eye.

-----

"I was there." Amira spoke up, scaring the living lights out of Dick.

It was twelve in the morning, or rather midnight, and Alfred had left Dick alone to get "some rest" and some time to adjust to his new room.

"What do you-"

"I was at the circus when..." Amira looked down at her feet. "Are you alright?"

"I...don't know." Dick managed to answer, wiping away a tear that dared to slip. He couldn't cry in front of her. He felt her hand grab his own, seeing that she herself was on the verge of crying.

"Want to play with me?" She asked, a tear slipping down her face.

"Sure." Dick answered back with a smile, feeling his own tears start to fall.

-----

Just as Bruce was about to fetch Dick and Amira for dinner, he heard screaming and yelling coming from Amira's room.

"-you just said I can-"

"That one is mine! Mine!"

"Okay, I get it, but-"

"No!"

Bruce quickly went to the room, only to find Dick and Amira tugging on one of her toys.

Why did it have to be Amira's Batman out of all the toys she owned?