Chapter 15: Rivalry

Amira looked at the two miraculous boxes in her possession, sighing as she looked at the drawing board in her room. Thanks to Tikki, she didn't have to deal with a tearful departure with her temporary team, something she didn't think she would've been able to handle.

After all, she had adored Carapace's and Gris' company.

For now, she was to return them to Master Fu soon, along with discussing a few things regarding her suspect.

"Checking over the data and evidence, Amira?" Tikki asked, munching on some cookies Amira had baked earlier today.

Yes, she made them at five in the morning, but could you blame the girl? She was excited to see her friends again. Not only that, but Wally was going to stay with her for the week! So of course, Amira decided to bake some things for them, wrapping them into tiny bags to give to them later.

"While it may seem like I have all the evidence I need, I still need more. Without those final pieces, I can't seal the case shut."

"But didn't you get the evidence you needed from your father's-"

"It's still not enough." Amira said, looking at her suspect's picture. "All the evidence points to him, but at the same time it doesn't.

I have his bank statements from just a little over a year, a few things sticking out to me.

An incubator, some gardening tools, a large order of milkweed along with other varieties of flowers and an order from a slightly sketchy butterfly farm. Back in Gotham, whenever someone wouldn't want others to catch whiff of their plans, they would go through the hassle of having proxies and the sort. But he didn't bother to do that. Probably didn't think anyone would see it odd as his profession calls for him to do the bizarre...at least to some extent."

"So this suspect's career allowed him to get away with being...bizarre?"

"A bit of a front, if you will. What makes him even more suspicious is the data I got after adding trackers to the akumas I would purify."

"What did you get from it?"

"All the butterflies collect into a single area." Amira circles a particular house on her map, glaring at it. "After all, all loyal creatures go back to the person or thing that cares for them with the utmost kindness. A bit ironic in this case, if you ask me."

"But this is enough evidence Amira! With all this, you can successfully say-"

"That's where you're wrong Tikki. I still need photographic evidence. But very soon Tikki. Very soon, we'll capture Hawkmoth." Amira looked at Gabriel Agreste's photo taped to her board.

She just needs a few more things and she'll finally be able to take him down. She'll be victorious.

-----

"Baguette!" Adrien chirped, throwing himself onto Marinette, Chloe rolling her eyes.

"Adrikins. We've only been away for four days."

"Four long days at that!" Adrien defended, breaking away from Marinette. "Next time we go to another gala, we're taking you with us."

Chloe didn't miss the way Marinette stiffened, her face going a shade lighter than usual.

"Right...next time." Marinette trailed, prying Adrien from her. "So, how was the oh-so-famed Wayne Gala? Lived up to its reputation?"

"Hardly." Chloe scoffed, tossing her hair behind her. "Bunch of old people getting together and talking about setting up their kids to marry one another."