Chapter 5: Overprotection

"I'm sending you to Paris." Amira heard her father say out of the blue.

"Wha-what?" Amira sputtered out, rising from her seat, cushions tumbled to the floor.

"I'll have all the necessary arrangements done by the end of this month, no, week." Bruce said, searching his desk for some papers.

"Dad, what are-"

"You'll be living with Tom and his wife-"

"What do you-"

"I'll also have to do the necessary paperwork for you to attend a school in Paris-"

"But I don't need to move to be safe. I'm perfectly-" Amira argued, standing in front of his desk, the Batman plushie in her hand.

"If I thought you were safe here, I wouldn't have you-"

"I don't want to-" Amira cut off again, trying to get her feelings across to her father.

"You're going to go to Paris where it's safe. Where no villain nor enemy will find you." Bruce stated, almost glaring at Amira.

"I. Don't. Want. To." Amira gritted, feeling her hand tightly squeeze the plushie in her hand. She just started to do well again. She finally had someone to talk to at school, even if Babs was years older than her.

"This isn't up for discussion Amira." Bruce glared, his eyes narrowed. "You're going to Paris where it's safe, whether you like it or not. Am I clear?"

Amira felt herself shake, hating that she held no power to go against her own father. Amira looked at the Batman in her hand, scowling as she looked at it. Without a second thought, Amira ripped it in half and threw it to the floor. "Why the hell did I ever idolize you?" Amira growled, marching out of the study, ignoring her father's yells for her to come back.

She almost slammed the doors into Dick's face, but even when he asked her what happened, she simply glared at him with unshed tears before picking up her pace.

She shut her room door closed as she walked to her bed, or at least attempted to. Just two steps away from it, she collapsed to the floor, grasping the rug underneath her as she let her tears escape.

She let herself scream into the void that was her room.

——-

Amira looked at the boxes surrounding her and then at the empty room before her, feeling her panic rising as she started at the brightly lit attic.

She couldn't say goodbye to Dick...nor Wally...or Barbara.

Even as she kept locked within her room that week, her mode of communicating with Dick was also cut off.

She was made to leave the manor without a word that Friday morning, to board the jet without a word and be sent off without anything more than a hug from Alfred.

Her father had told her that she would keep doing her class work remotely, seeing as it was the last semester of the school year and there was no point in making her completely withdraw.

But come the next school year, she would be a student at College Francoise Dupont, the school across the street from where she and the Dupain-Chengs would reside.

She knew her father was hurting, but this? This was too much.

She headed up the skylight, thinking fresh air would help to calm her down, but was proved wrong when she saw the blue sky.

How the hell was this supposed to feel like home when it felt nothing like Gotham?

Where were the gray skies? The arcs and cobblestone that hid malicious secrets? Where were the gargoyles that followed her every move? Her home?