«─── « ⋅ʚ Wedding ɞ⋅ » ───»

February 1, 2020

Ever since I was a kid, I've loved weddings there was something magical about them or at least that's what I saw in movies. Growing up I've had the opportunity to go to a few weddings, although not many, I'd always be mesmerized by the bride walking down the aisle in her beautiful dress and the groom would be waiting for her with a smile on his lips and some with tears in their eyes. The idea of it was so romantic and as a child, I ate all of that up hoping one day I'd have the same.

When I was 8, I found an old video tape in the attic, I asked my parents what it was about, and they sat me down on the couch and played it. It was a recording of their wedding that took place in a small space and only those closest to them were invited. Mom was wearing the simplest of dresses while dad wore a plain black suit with nothing fancy or extraordinary about it, yet you could feel the love between them. It wasn't the magical I had seen in movies with the glitter and big guest list it was better than that because in the tape I could see my own parents having their moment and a lot of familiar faces that were still in their life to this day. It felt familiar, loving, and like home. It was only natural for their wedding to not have been huge they were recently graduated from college and just started working. They had used most of their savings on a house to build their family in and what was left they used to have their small wedding.

I must have watched that tape so many times I had it engraved in my brain by now. After a few clips of the ceremony there would be more of the reception. My parents happily dancing in the middle of the small dance floor bright grins on their faces they didn't have much, but they had each other and that's all that mattered. I told myself I wanted somebody who would look at me like my parents looked at each other and I think I might have found that person although it's probably a bit too soon to say.

My parent's moment had come again 25 years later. They loved each other more than all those years ago plus they were doing well economically so, why not have another wedding where they could go all out and share it with those they had met along their journey and who had become so important.

That's where we're at now my family got up relatively early to have breakfast together and spend some quality time together. My parents gave Youngjin and I a rundown of what was to happen tonight and after they left for their honeymoon. We would be on our own for two weeks, they expected me to look after Jin and instructed him to not give me a hard time.

After breakfast we parted ways Mom led me to her room where a make-up and hair stylist would come to get us ready. I was on the bed while we waited, texting with Taehyung about today's schedule even if I had told him about 20 times before. I was too excited to have him here it would be the first time he came with me to a family activity and, now that the cat was out of the bag, I wanted to show him off. Because somehow plain old Nari managed to get someone like him.

"Nari, honey," mom called my attention softly.

"Yes, mom?" I locked my phone to give her my attention.

"Sit here beside me, let's talk," she said, patting the empty spot on the bed beside her.

"What is it? You're scaring me," I nervously laughed. No matter how old you are when a parent tells you they need to talk to you a fight or flight response kicks in.

"It's nothing bad," she reassuringly spoke, "I saw what went down yesterday with you and Taehyung," she revealed with a knowing smile.

"Wow, you really do know everything," I was shocked I had no idea she had been in the room and she didn't even make her presence known.

"I can see how in love you two are," Mom said, brushing a strand of my hair behind my ear.

"The whole wedding ordeal, plus seeing you up there has made me reflect on the past 25 years and it made me see how much you've grown. It reminded me, you're not a baby anymore," she continued saying a nostalgic look in her eyes.