«──── « ⋅ʚ SHOT ɞ⋅ » ────»

June 21, 2020

Everyone sat at a long table in the nice little restaurant we decided to have lunch. My parents were on one end of the table and Olivia and Macy on the other leaving my brother and I in the middle. My parents were curious and asked how we spent the night.

"It was so cool," Macy raved, "It exceeded all my expectations!"

"We had a lot of fun, isn't that right, Jin?" Olivia asked him maliciously.

"Um, yeah, a lot of fun, a lot of horrible singing," Younjin slightly grimaced holding his head due to Olivia's loud tone.

He had a big headache from all the drinks he had last night. He couldn't exactly stay at the hotel since he didn't want mom and dad to find out he had been drinking alcohol. Although I'm pretty sure they were onto him because he was not the type to wear sunglasses indoors.

"Did you take pictures?" my mom asked.

She was a fan of pictures and I picked up the habit from her. I always took a lot of pictures on my phone nothing fancy, Macy was the one into photography. Meanwhile, I simply loved capturing random moments. The only downside was it left my phone with nearly any storage and I refused to delete them even though they are backed up on the computer. I had an unreasonable fear of suddenly needing a random picture.

"Yes, I'll show you," I told her, handing her my phone.

Now, I didn't have anything to hide, but I made sure to turn off the notifications of some apps before giving her the phone with the first picture of the night selected. As she scrolled through the photos, she commented on how cute we all looked and that it sure looked like we had fun. At some point she leaned on my dad's shoulder as they looked through them. It was cute.

"What's this? A video?" she questioned and hit play.

I don't remember taking a video, but if I did it probably wasn't good. Who knows what was said in such video or what was happening. We were good kids, yet things can get out of context and seem worse than they actually are. It could be a video of Olivia singing a dirty song, or Macy trying to twerk, or Hana cussing like a sailor, but no, the world is too cruel for that. Instead it was me chanting 'shot' repeatedly as Youngjin, my underage brother, slammed a shot of tequila on a table. I didn't see the video, but I heard it clearly and so did everyone at the table.

Youngjin had slapped his forehead in disbelief, Macy was suddenly staring at her empty plate in interest, Olivia had her hands in her mouth, stifling a laugh, and I wanted the ground to swallow me whole as I stared at my parents shocked reaction. I saw my dad's lips quirk up trying very hard not to laugh trying to gauge my mom's reaction first.

"Why am I not surprised?" she sighed handing me back my phone.

"Are you mad?" Youngjin whimpered, covering his face and peering from between his fingers.

She wasn't mad exactly, but she did give us a long lecture of safe drinking and all that. I'll spare you the details. My dad eventually broke and started laughing as I sent him the video through text message which earned him a scowl from my mom, reprimanding him for "encouraging us".

"Tell me your plans for the next few days," Mom demanded, as we walked towards the hotel.

"We don't have anything planned for today, but tomorrow we're going to a BTS concert," I told her hesitantly.

Considering she knew the struggle we had for getting tickets for the concert in May she knew that a BTS concert was no easy feat. She was probably wondering how we managed that. 

"Nari, again? Where did you even get the money for that?" she questioned suspiciously. 

"Well, you see," I began, "I don't know how to say this," I trailed off looking for the easiest explanation.