6.

Aera sighed, dejected as she walked out of the art gallery's management office. The curator liked her pieces, he said it himself but he wasn't willing to put her art in the spotlight. He had said, "Your art isn't good enough to get a private exhibition."

Oh, how her palm had itched to slap him across the face but she couldn't. She wouldn't. Every artist wants to get the spotlight, a private exhibition and Aera had been trying since she was seventeen. It had been a long time and all she got out of it was a spot in the last corner of the exhibit and even fewer commissions.

At this point she was starting to lose hope. Maybe, she would remain as those artists who never got the recognition. Maybe, she just wasn't good enough. Maybe she should finally find something permanent to do instead of those few students.

Aera was brought out of her thoughts when her phone started ringing. Her eyes widened when she saw the name but picked it up anyway as she boarded the bus, back home.

"Hwayoung-ah, what a pleasant surprise! Did the sun rise in west today?" Aera could already imagine her college friend rolling her eyes in annoyance. "Cut the sarcasm, Aera. I called to ask how your meeting went."

First, Cho Hwayoung calls her by herself and then she inquires about her meeting. Aera guessed, she was in a good mood or maybe she was starting to finally get out of her shell.

In college, they both were in the art department, the only difference was, Aera was in visual arts while Hwayoung was in literary arts. Till this day, they didn't know how an introverted hermit and an extroverted butterfly became such good friends. They were still close however. Maybe after Sehee, Aera was closest to Hwayoung only.

"It was the same ole, same ole," Aera replied with a pout, referring to the meeting. "They are giving me a separate room, however, away from the main artist of the night. Does that count?"

Hwayoung hummed on the other end, "We never know, Aera. You just have to keep trying till you get something, don't you think?" Aera shrugged, despite knowing her friend wouldn't be able to see. "I guess, but I don't know how long I'll be able to keep going, Young-ah. Do you think I should apply for a job instead?"

There was silence from the other end, Hwayoung was probably thinking something and Aera knew her well enough to know when to keep quiet and when not.

"I think you should wait a year more," Hwayoung said, her voice deep and soothing. "You might not be extremely famous but people do know the name Lee Aera. So, I think you should hold on just a little longer."

Aera didn't know what it was but she felt as if her best friend probably knew something. Hwayoung was the type of person who didn't talk unless necessary and when she talked, you better listen to her because she had a level of understanding and knowledge that surpassed normal people around her. Hwayoung wasn't one of the best selling author for nothing, albeit under a pen name and a secret identity.

"If you say so. I really hope a miracle happens. I'm starting to lose my positive attitude," Aera spoke in a low voice, getting off the bus, her sadness and hopelessness clear.

"I know, dear. I know it's hard but just a little more. Just trust me on this. Anyways, Doyun contacted me the other day and I rejected his calls thrice before I picked it up. I swear that guy doesn't understand the secret language of rejection."

Aera laughed at her friend's animated voice. Leave it to Hwayoung to know how 'not to' socialize with even your close friends.

"Well, he's a police officer. I don't think he ever takes no for an answer. What did he say?"

"Nothing much. He asked if I was free the day after tomorrow. He said it's been too long since the three of us met up."

"That's right. Remember that time when..."

The two friends continued talking as Aera walked to her house, unaware of what was waiting for her. Not that she could have expected anything when it came to that certain person. But she wouldn't lie either, that she was both pleasantly surprised and annoyed to see the man standing infront of her front door.

"Good afternoon, Aera-shi," the deep voice greeted her, his face covered with a black mask.

~~~~
A/N:

I'm not even gonna ask you who this mysterious man is because y'all probably already know. You guys are pretty smart.

Do you want to see more of this secret author, Cho Hwayoung more in the future? Because I have huge plans for her. 😉

And do you remember Doyun? From After Hours? He's going to be a part of this book too!

Thank you for reading!!!