What About Now (Bongiovi/Sambora)

What About Now

May 2014

**Hawaii**

https://www.banyanhousehawaii.com

Jon woke early to the sound of the ocean crashing against the beach below. He stretched and glanced over at Richie, who was still sleeping and smiled. His lover was sprawled on his side of the big bed, the white of the sheets a stark contrast to his caramel skin.

Richie was already showing the slight effects of spending what was left of their first day, walking around shirtless and taking every advantage of the dying rays. He was the original beach boy at heart.

They'd arrived in Hawaii mid-morning yesterday, collected their luggage and made their way to the car hire booth. Richie had become accustomed to travelling incognito these days, made easier by the fact that most recognised him by his black cowboy hat that had become somewhat of a trademark for him.

After travelling the short distance from the airport, Richie pulled the car into the driveway and keyed in the code for the automatic gates.

"Holy fuck...," Richie breathed as the gates opened like an oyster to reveal the jewel hidden inside.

"Wow!" Jon agreed. "Tommy's sister really came through on this one. We need to send them something as a thank you when we get home."

"Absolutely." Richie killed the engine and they both stepped out of the car to look up at the huge expanse of the banyan tree overhead. He moved to Jon's side and stepped into his arms. "All this is ours for three weeks, babe," he said, dropping a kiss to Jon's lips.

The front door opened and a well dressed older man, wearing a brightly coloured shirt and a pair of cargo shorts, stepped out onto the walkway that led over a water feature.

"Mr Sambora, Mr Bongiovi...Aloha and welcome!" he said, placing fragrant leis around Jon and Richie's necks before greeting them traditionally with the honi.

They had studied up on the traditional Hawaiian greeting so weren't at all shocked when they were greeted off the aeroplane with frangipani leis and people resting their foreheads and noses to their own.

"I am Kai and I'm here to show you around the house and to make sure that you have all that you need."

"Aloha, Kai, nice to meet you, man," Richie said. "I'm Richie, this is Jon. This is a beautiful place, man."

"Mahalo!" Kai beamed. "Please...follow me."

After Kai had shown them through the vast house that had seven bedrooms with a similar amount of bathrooms, a media room, office and gym, he had left them to unpack and explore. "The groceries you requested have been put away for you and the cleaning service will come through on Saturday mornings."

The three walked out to the rental car and said their goodbyes with the promise that they'd call if they needed anything.

~~

Even after all these years, the thrill of waking up and having Richie beside him never waned. Jon sighed happily even though Mother Nature was being a bitch about needing to empty his bladder.

He pushed out of bed and padded into the bathroom to complete his ablutions before finding and pulling on a soft pair of grey lounge pants. He pushed back the folding doors on their silent runners to let the sea breeze into the room. He stepped out onto the lanai and walked to the edge, resting his arms on the railing to gaze out over the moonlit expanse of the Pacific. The water had been so much bluer than he expected when he'd first looked out from up here yesterday, and almost crystal clear. Jon couldn't wait to go diving one day.