3 Was

Amber

I was carried through the forest by the intimidating beast who had been holding me captive now for hours. The sun had reached its zenith and was moving downwards again by the time we reached what could be considered anything resembling civilization, a scattering of modest dwellings. The grey-eyed beast carried me down the main road.

Though I could not see anyone looking, I could feel the gazes of the other beasts on me. No doubt they were wondering who the strange woman was who was being carried through their town by their alpha. Or maybe they knew and just thought me pathetic.

We continued on until we rounded a corner and a larger building stretched up before me. It was plain, but it reminded me of the hunters' main offices. I wondered if they would figure out I had been taken by werewolves. I wondered if they would come after me if they did know. I wondered if I would even want them to.

It would probably be better for me to stay here and be eaten by wolves than to fall back into Jasper's grasping hands.

He strode up to the building and through the front doors as if he owned the place. Perhaps he did, with the way he had been controlling the other werewolves.

We were watched by a couple of people as he carried me down the hall and then down a flight of stairs. A turn, another hall, a cell, and then I was placed on a narrow cot.

I understood I had reached my final destination. From here, they would shut me behind the cold iron bars and do what they wanted with me.

The beast shifted on the cot behind me and my wrists were finally released from their bindings. My fingers pricked as proper circulation returned. He got up, walked to the door of the cell, and shut me inside with a resounding clank.

—————

I was left to wait and wonder what they were going to do with me. My fingers eventually stopped tingling. My ankle still throbbed. There was still a gag on my mouth and I could obviously take it off, but was it a test to see if I would comply with their orders?

I left it on. Better to bear the mild discomfort than to risk possible wrath.

My wait was quickly over. Footsteps came down the hall towards my cell. A werewolf stood there, his black hair wavy and one strand of it was falling towards his eyes. He reminded me a bit of the one who had carried me the final leg of the journey.

I noticed he had a folded chair under one arm and using the other he opened the door to my cell and walked inside. He set it down a short distance away from me and sat down facing me. He looked me over quizzically as if he was trying to figure me out. "You can take off the gag."

I pulled it down.

"What's your name?"

"Amber."

"I'm Oliver."

I waited to see what he would say next and kept my gaze lowered.

"Let me see your ankle."

I held my breath while I extended my leg towards him. He peeled off my shoe and sock. It hurt and I flinched.

"Sorry," he said.

"It's fine."

My ankle was rather discoloured. Wouldn't have been able to cover this one up with makeup.

"Hmm. I'll get Doc to look at it."

I did not argue. I didn't want to see anyone, but what did it matter? I had no choice here, any more than I had with the hunters.