35 Diluting

Amber

A couple of weeks passed, and Sarah and I were mostly ready to move. Everything but the essentials were packed, and I was torn between nervous and excited.

Things were going well between Devon and me while we were in the city. Devon seemed more relaxed than normal, and all our problems seemed far away. I liked being able to talk to him straight between our minds because we could always have a private conversation even in my small apartment when Sarah was home. And he'd already taught me how to shield my thoughts and emotions and vice versa, and I was getting more used to being able to feel some of what he was feeling besides.

Sarah had apparently gotten over her anger at Devon, and seemed to have accepted everything now, which made things at lot less stressful as well. Things were going well, almost too well, because I was afraid moving back would mess things up between us.

He kept sleeping on my floor in his wolf form every night. I'd tried to convince him on other various sleeping arrangements, but he was adamant he'd sleep best in the room with me, and I had to keep the bed. I didn't argue much. I liked having him there with me and it made me feel secure.

He was usually in his human form again and ready for the day by the time I woke up, and most of the time he just waited around. I wasn't a late sleeper, but it seemed he was even an earlier riser than I was.

This morning was no different, and he was in my room when I awoke, sitting in my desk chair and doing something on his phone. I smoothed my messy hair as I pushed myself up. He immediately left his phone and joined me, the mattress dipping under his weight. "Morning, beautiful."

His appreciative eyes were on me. If he wanted to think I looked nice in the morning, who was I to argue? It was the best sort of delusion. I smiled at him. "Good morning."

"How'd you sleep?"

"Fine."

His brow furrowed. "You had nightmares last night."

I shrugged. "I don't remember them, so no harm done?"

"I don't like you feeling afraid." He pecked me on the lips.

I remembered feeling afraid of him, but that feeling was long gone. Even his aggressive wolf was a big softie for me. "I'm not afraid when you're around."

His smile built the increasingly familiar ache between my legs. I was getting used to craving him when he was present and longing for him when he was gone. When we kissed it only increase the fervency of my feelings. I was coming to love having his lips on mine. It felt aggravating and satisfying all at once.

We ate breakfast together. I was done with work, so my day was pretty much clear. Devon had arranged a moving van for Sarah's and my stuff. I probably didn't need it considering his pack already had everything, but I didn't want to leave it behind to go to waste. I was sure I'd never sleep in that bed again, not when Devon's was so much better and he was in it, but it could be repurposed for someone else's need, I was sure.

After breakfast, Sarah was already gone, apparently attempting to get in the maximum amount of socializing with her human friends before we left. I didn't mind because it gave me more time alone with Devon. When we got back to the pack he'd be too busy to spend this much time with me, so I enjoyed it while it lasted.

We sat on the couch together and I leaned against him. His muscular arm wrapped around my shoulders anchoring me to his solid heat. I could have stayed beside him like that all day.

His voice was less sure than it usually was when he finally broke the comfortable silence. "You don't have to agree, but it is possible for a human to become part of the pack, if you want to."