53 Securely

Amber Mature

Getting Devon's wolf into a vehicle was a challenge. He refused to get into the SUV we had come in, so Oliver ended up calling for a pickup truck and we rode in the back of it, wind rushing over us as they drove, like a pair of pet dogs.

I was glad when we were back at the territory.

Devon's wolf refused to leave my side, and refused to let any males near me, including his own brother. We fed him, hoping with more energy he would have the strength to take over. Doctor Mansard wanted to check on his injuries from the fight, but Devon growled any time he tried to approach.

Finally, Nurse Rene came up, extremely cautiously, and injected Devon with a tranquilizer while Oliver distracted him.

Once allowed to work, the doctor discovered Devon had two bullets still lodged in him. They kept Devon under and operated, although I was repeatedly assured that he would be fine once they were extracted. During the procedure, I proceeded to painfully force myself to shift back to my human form. Sarah brought me clothing for which I was grateful, because what I had been wearing had been destroyed.

And so, I found myself sitting in the clinic again in a hoodie and sweatpants, this time beside a huge wolf lying on a hospital bed, afraid to leave for a minute because I feared he'd freak out if he woke and I wasn't there.

Hours passed and finally, the wolf began to stir. He shifted in his sleep, and I watched him as his golden eyes looked into mine.

"Devon?"

"Amber." The flickers of grey in them filled me with relief.

I sagged against him, and then remembered he might still be in pain so I quickly moved away.

"You okay, beautiful?"

"Me? You're the one who was unresponsive!"

"What happened?"

"From what I hear the hunters caught you sneaking out and your wolf took over and killed them brutally before going on a bloody rampage."

"Sounds about right. Why are they giving you the nasty details?"

I ignored his desire to coddle me. "Your wolf ran off, and Oliver brought me there to lure you back. Doc operated on you, and here we are."

"What happened with the battle?"

"The hunters were defeated, but there were casualties."

"Damn. They were stronger than we expected."

I nodded.

"You were right to be worried."

"I just knew how fervent they are. I grew up listening to that."

"It's probably not over."

"No, it's not."

—————

The next time he woke up, the stubborn male said he felt better and shifted into his human form even though Doctor Mansard had firmly suggested he wait. I had protested, but that hadn't stopped him.

Since I was worried that he would be cold, I pulled the covers up over him.

"Thank you, beautiful," he said. I'd be lying if I said I didn't love hearing his husky human voice, even under the circumstances. I was so glad to have him back.

He took my hand in his in a sweet gesture, and then he used it to yank me down onto the bed beside him. "Mmm. That's better."

"You could have just asked."

"You might have said no. I've learned my lesson about giving you chances to run away."

I rolled my eyes at him but didn't try to get off the bed.

"Amber, I'll sleep better with you beside me, plus, you're tired too."

He wasn't wrong.

"Fine," I said begrudgingly and let him pull me more securely against him.

—————

Later that day, Silvia made her way into the room. She looked a lot like a feminine version of her brothers, with sandy hair and greyish-blue eyes. She smiled at me and then her brother wanly, before walking forward and giving him a gentle hug.

He clasped her back. "Silvia."

"Dev, thank you for rescuing us. They told me how hard you were trying."

"Of course, how could I not have?"

She pulled back and patted him on the shoulder. "And I heard you found your mate. Congratulations, both of you." She hugged me, next and I took it a bit uncomfortably.

There was an awkward silence in the room, and then Devon asked, "Are you okay, Silvia? Really?"

She inhaled. "No, Dev, but I might be." I hoped she knew that Devon had included me in their conversation.

"What did they do to you?"

"I...I don't want to talk about it." Tears filled her eyes. "But they broke my bond with Arthur."

"What? No!" Devon's voice was full of horror.

"I haven't been able to feel him for a long time. It's gone, like it never was. Both of you, treasure what you have," she said, and left the room swiftly.

Devon sat up and pulled me close, burying his face in my neck.

—————

Devon put up with sitting in the pack clinic for a grand total of four days before he insisted he was well enough to leave. Doctor Mansard protested, but I was mostly glad that the stubborn male had managed to last even that long.

That night, Devon pulled me into his arms and kissed me the way I loved. His hands found my breasts and he squeezed and caressed them, sending fire down into my center. His hands followed, making the blaze burn brighter until all at once I ignited just for him.

"You sure we should be doing this?" I asked him breathlessly as he reached over to grab protection.

"This is the only thing we should be doing."

"But your injuries..."

"Are more than healed enough. Unless you don't want me to?"

"Of course I want you to, but..."

"I know you do. I can tell." He smiled at me, his lips curving wickedly.

"Don't blame me if you end up back in the clinic."

He smirked as he rolled it onto himself. "That sounds intriguing. What are you planning to do to me?"

I huffed, but I couldn't keep up my pique as he pushed in, gently working himself deep inside me. I raised my hips and met his first deep thrust. I moaned his name as he drove into me over and over, running his lips along my neck before returning to my mouth.

I revelled in the feel of him, because it was proof that he was safely back with me.

His pace continued until he shuddered on top of me and I followed him again a moment later. Disposing of the condom, he wrapped me in his arms and I fell into a restful sleep, safe with my mate.