9 Promise

Amber

"You just stopped me from leaving, so what else am I?" I asked the alpha werewolf who was sitting before me, claiming that I was his mate of all the insane ideas.

I snuck another peak at him and I felt a bit guilty. He looked like I had broken his heart by trying to leave, but I did not want to be trapped any longer.

Since he never answered, I finally said, "I've heard that there's such a thing as reje—"

Before I could finish my sentence I watched as his body contorted and twisted into the shape of a huge wolf and I froze, unsure how to deal with the snarling slate grey mass of fur covered muscle before me. He leapt upon me with a snarl, and I fell backwards, certain that I was about to be killed by the angry predator that had pounced upon me. This miscalculation was going to cost me.

His breath brushed the skin where my shoulder met my neck, his canines a hair's breadth from touching. I stayed perfectly still, except for a tear that began to escape against my will.

We stayed like that for moments that were shards of forever. My heart slammed in my chest and then finally he released me, his weight leaving as he stepped off. Without even looking at me again, he ran for the door and dashed out of the house.

It took me only a second to get to my shaky legs and I retreated to the bedroom that was my cage and locked myself in.

—————

The next morning, I refused to leave the room. Maybe I couldn't leave the territory, but they couldn't make me come out to face the monster who imagined I was his mate. At least they couldn't make me do it willingly. I didn't know what he would have done to me the night before, but the threat in his actions had been undeniable. I was not safe here.

A few times during the day people came to the door and tried to get me to come out or to open up to let them give me food, but I ignored them. Oliver came to the door as well.

"Please, Amber. I'm worried about you."

"I'm fine," I said loudly enough there would be no question he heard me.

"Then why don't you come out?"

"Why? I'm a prisoner either way."

Even Oliver gave up and left after that.

I pushed aside my guilt and curled up on the bed, not even bothering to look out of the window at the world beyond.

I ignored everyone until long after the sun fell and I went to sleep.

—————

The next day there were yet more series of knocks on the door. My stomach growled with hunger, but I was used to ignoring that just as I ignored the people who came to try to convince me to come out.

More knocks came as I simply lay on the bed.

"Amber. Please, come out."

My ears perked at the sound of his voice, but I resolutely kept my mouth closed.

"I'm sorry about what happened. My wolf was close to the surface and he got out of hand."

"Yes, just like Jasper."

"My wolf wasn't going to kill you, Amber. He tried to mark you, because it felt like we were losing you. Against your will, which was bad enough. I'm sorry, I should have stopped him faster."

"You don't have me. How could you lose me?" I was probably courting death by arguing with this male, but my mouth seemed to have spoken on its own and deserted all my submissive survival strategies.

He was quiet for a long moment. "Please, give me a chance."

"A chance?"

"Stay with me willingly for—I don't know—a year, and if you still want to leave at the end I'll let you go without a fight."

I exhaled. He really had no right to keep me, but I had no way to escape. Could I trust him to keep a promise? I closed my eyes. "Two months."

"Fine."

"Okay, it's a deal. But if you don't keep your end I'll never forgive you."

"I swear I'll stand by my word."

"And you can't mark me. Or do anything else to me."

He breathed out heavily enough that I could still hear it through the door. "I won't, unless you want me to. Now will you please come out and eat? You don't even have to see me. Just, get used to life here, and..." His voice sounded dejected and it made my chest ache. The irrational urge to comfort him welled up inside me.

"Okay."

I hoped I could trust him.