17 Impatient

Amber

Dan stared at me, and I lowered my gaze so that he wouldn't think I was challenging him, so I was startled when he started laughing uproariously, as if I had said something hilarious.

He spoke between laughs. "You believe that I'm a vampire, but you still met me for coffee. What were you thinking?"

I shrugged. "I thought you seemed okay, so I decided to give you a chance." I did not tell him that part of it was to prove to myself that I really could do what I wanted with my life. And maybe a part of it was rebellion against the misery of my childhood. I could hang out with a vampire if I wanted to. Forget the hunters and all their anti-supernatural propaganda. I shrugged. Also forget the overprotective werewolves and the mate bond that I could not quite seem to escape.

I didn't meet his eyes, but I did summon my courage to ask, "Are you not a vampire? What are you, then?"

His chuckling finally stopped. "Sorry, for laughing, but I was not expecting that. And yes, I am a vampire." He flashed me a grin and I saw his sharp fangs clearly for the first time.

I scrambled to think of something to say to him. Now that I had confirmation, it was just strange.

He smiled. "Usually when I ask out a pretty girl on a date, I have to worry about if and when I'll tell her about what I am. I've never had someone ask me point blank before."

"This is a date?"

"Only if you want it to be. It's definitely interesting, if nothing else. But now, I'm even more curious about you. You're so matter of fact about this, I can't believe you're a normal human. Although you seem like a normal human. You don't smell as appetizing as the fae or as unpleasant as a werewolf. I can't detect anything other about you..."

I wasn't going to expose the pack, but maybe it might be good to talk about my past with someone unrelated, someone I could tell the partial truth to. There was an odd lack of pressure here with this vampire, like he was someone I could connect with, so I threw caution to the wind. "I am a normal human, but I was found and raised by hunters."

His eyes narrowed almost imperceptibly, so I quickly added, "Don't worry, though. They treated me like an unpaid servant and taught me nothing useful. I couldn't hurt you if I tried."

Or maybe telling him how helpless I was had been a foolish move. Just because acting weak had helped me with the hunters...

His frown deepened, as if he sensed the deeper truth behind my words. Then his face relaxed. "Well, I won't hold it against you."

"Good to hear, because my life with them was miserable."

"All the more reason the hunters are the problem."

"That's not how they tell it."

"I can imagine not. So what are you doing here in the city?"

"Well, I eventually...got away from the hunters, and I'm trying to make a life free among the normal humans.

"And is that life of freedom satisfying you?"

It was a good question. I liked making my own decisions without the fear of Jasper's attention or Mrs. Lyndon's wrath. But, I was haunted by memories of a face that I left behind. If it weren't for that, I thought it might be. "Yes. For now. I'm learning to live the life they tried to steal from me."

"That's good to hear. You know, my queen would be interested in meeting you."

"Meeting me?" I repeated, surprised.

"Yes, she's long been trying to rally the other supernatural creatures to stand against the hunters with little luck. Perhaps your story of ill treatment would shed more light on the threat."

"Ill treatment? I—"

"Forgive me, but I can read between the lines. They set themselves up as the virtuous protectors of humanity, keeping the monsters at bay, and yet they neglected one human girl in their care."

"Well, that was mostly the family I was stuck with," I said. I wasn't sure I wanted to get drawn in as a pawn in any conflicts. Meeting the queen of the vampires was the direct opposite of what I had been aiming for. I hadn't forgotten my goal, hiding anonymously among the humans.

"Who was it who stuck you with that family? Did the other hunters not stand by while you were not cared for?" He was hitting too close to home.

I inhaled. "Some probably knew, but I'm sure many were oblivious. Probably all hunters aren't bad, and I don't want to see the children harmed."

Dan shook his head. "Contrary to what the hunters may have told you, vampires are not entirely without mercy. At least not the ones who follow the laws."

"I believe that. But can't you understand, I just want to escape that world?"

"And yet you told me about your past at the earliest opportunity. Maybe it's impossible to close your eyes to what you know and just be an oblivious human again, even if you want to. Not without magical suppression and I don't recommend that."

"I'll think about talking to your queen. No promises."

"Of course. I've no desire to bully you. Our queen would take a very grim view of that."

"She sounds—"

My phone pinged again and I rolled my eyes. Sarah was busy worrying. Now that I was pretty sure Dan wasn't going to drain me dry, I regretted leaving the note at all. I didn't just want to be close to Sarah-sanctioned people. "I've had a good time, but I should probably get home. Sarah's bouncing off the walls." I glanced at my screen. "She wants to meet you properly."

"I'd be happy to meet her, if it will set her mind at ease."

I quickly texted Sarah that she could come pick me up and talk to Dan when she did. Her response was immediate. "She'll be here in a few." I sighed. I was tired of the overprotectiveness, but it would grate on my nerves less if I could be sure it was genuine.

He grinned, seeming perfectly at ease. I wondered if he would be so relaxed if he knew what she was. Werewolves and vampires were technically at peace, but there had been conflicts between them in the past, which had led to the accords with the hunters appointed as mediators and enforcers.

"You've sure brought a lot of drama into my place, Dan," Lydia commented mildly from behind the counter. "Maybe we should close up shop for your little confrontation."

I didn't want to trouble her. "You don't have to—"

"Probably a good idea," Dan agreed.

I was overruled, but I didn't think that it was worth arguing. If Dan was going to be my friend, it was probably a good idea to just let Sarah get her frustrations out and be done with it. It wouldn't be a very productive conversation if a normal human came in so they couldn't really talk.

Lydia closed up the coffee shop temporarily, assuring me that it wasn't that big of a deal because the shop was just a hobby. Dan and I chatted, but it was one of those uneasy conversations people have when they're just taking up time while waiting.

Finally, there was an impatient knock on the door right below the closed sign, and Sarah's irritated face looked at me through the glass.

Well, this was going to be fun.