5 Patience

Amber

Nothing seemed different the next day, although the pack's activity appeared more relaxed than before. Perhaps they needed to let out their wild side to calm themselves down.

My days dragged on to the point where I almost missed being forced to work day in and day out, because it at least gave me something to do. I spent most of the time looking out the window at the world beyond the rectangle.

That was how he found me the next time he came. The door opened and I ignored it, but somehow I knew it was the alpha without checking. It was strange that he spent so much of his time interacting with me. Sigmund Triste certainly had not wasted a moment of his time on my petty existence.

Of course, there I was just a common human nuisance, whereas here I was an enemy hostage, and perhaps that accounted for the difference.

"You're to come and be questioned by my advisors," he said.

I exhaled slowly and tried to ignore the tension his words began to build in me. "I've already told you everything I know about the hunters. I was never in a position of power, I was never a fighter."

He did not bother to argue. "Come on."

I complied, keeping my eyes down. He growled in the back of his throat, and I tried to make myself look smaller to minimize his aggression. It did not seem to have a calming effect on the beast before me as it often had with the Lyndons. Why had he been the one to come for me? Maybe to intimidate me before I had to stand before his advisors.

Using my crutches, I manoeuvred my way after him. He seemed to be going slower to accommodate my decreased pace, but it was still a struggle to keep up. There was nothing I could do about his annoyance at my slow speed.

Finally we reached a moderately sized but stern looking building and I followed him inside and through the halls to a high ceilinged room. A dozen or so seats were placed in a semicircle, and there was a single empty chair at the head.

"Bring her a chair," the alpha said gruffly.

I supposed I should be grateful they weren't going to make me awkwardly stand balancing with crutches. I kept my gaze down and took the provided seat.

"Tell us about your life among your people," he prodded.

I inhaled and began speaking. I left out the fact I was not a biological hunter as per my plan, and I left out the abuse I had suffered at the hands of my family for the sake of show, but I told them everything else, highlighting the long hours I spent working at menial labour. When I was finished they asked me many questions that were presumably to find out anything I was hiding, but all I could tell them was the public hunter view of the situation.

Finally they were finished with me and I let myself relax just a bit.

Then one advisor spoke. "Then, alpha, since it seems she truly doesn't know anything, I'd like to return to the idea of a prisoner exchange. If we can get them back by using her as a bargaining chip..."

I stiffened. Perhaps I was a traitor to humans, but I realized I would rather stay and die amongst these wolves than go back to the hunters. I tried to think of a way to protest without getting myself into additional trouble.

His voice was hard. "No. I don't believe they would trade prisoners for one like her. The hunters are ruthless, and if we suggest such a thing it will make us appear weak."

"Is she just a maid, though? I've never met a hunter like her. This submissiveness reeks of duplicity."

I did not react to the accusation. I was not a hunter, and if I needed to be meek to survive there was no shame in that.

"I believe her words," the alpha said and it made me feel oddly warm. "Take her back to her room," he said to someone, and I found myself led out of the room. Behind me came the sounds of arguing, and an accusation that he was being too soft on a prisoner. I did not hear his response as I got out of earshot.

"You held up well under their questioning," a familiar voice said. I glanced and realized it was Oliver who had removed me from the room.

"I just said what I know."

"You truly hold no loyalty to the hunters?"

I shrugged a bit. "They didn't really inspire it in me."

He was quiet for a long moment while we walked back towards my soft prison.

"That, er, what was happening to you before the pack captured you, was that a regular occurrence?"

"No. He had been escalating for a while but I had managed to avoid any situations before then."

He was quiet for a long moment. "The hunters don't protect their females?"

I shrugged again. "They didn't protect me."

"Do you want to go back?" he asked.

"No."

"He doesn't want to send you back."

"He?" I asked, but I was pretty sure who Oliver meant.

"Alpha Devon."

I made a noncommittal sound of acknowledgement.

Oliver paused. "I think he's taken an interest in you."

"I'm not interesting," I deflected as quickly as I could. I didn't want any males taking an interest in me again, even if he was rather attractive and not at all repugnant like Jasper had been.

It was Oliver's turn to make a sound, his of disbelief.

I was glad when we reached the pack house where they kept me locked up, but instead of being taken directly to my room, Oliver led me to the kitchen. I wondered for a moment if I was to become unpaid labour to them as well, but I was instead ushered into a chair and he began digging around the refrigerator.

Moments later we both had decent chicken sandwiches and glasses of juice.

"Why are you being so nice to me?" I asked him.

He shrugged. "I don't have any reason not to be."

I considered his words. "So, if I'm not sent away, then what's it going to be like for me here?" I still intended to leave at the first opportunity, but I did not want to tip them off as to that fact.

Oliver shrugged. "I suppose that's up to my brother."

So he was related to the alpha as I had first suspected.

We talked for a while longer and then he returned me to my room. I sat at the window and watched some more.

—————

Nothing much changed in the days after the hearing I had attended, although my ankle was getting quite a bit better, to the point where I was allowed to walk on it again. I was also occasionally let out, usually by Oliver, although I kept my head down and my senses open. I was pleased at this because I got a chance to better see the lay of the house. Hopefully if I was to stay I could lull them into relaxing through my compliance.

My mind worked on escape routes while I searched for opportunities and made hopeful plans. I would need to get a head start on them and figure out a way to lose their keen senses of smell. The hunters had ways of dealing with such things, but I had never been privy to what they were.

It was too late to regret that now. Instead I would have to make do with what I could figure out myself.

I had learned patience and I could use it again.