12 Unremarkable

Amber

The alpha invaded my subconscious that night. I let him kiss me, and a lot of other undefined things that I did not really know much about, but instinctually wanted.

Even minutes after waking, my heart pounded and I was sweaty and nervous. I could practically feel the noose tightening around my neck, and questions about whether there was a point in resisting wandered through my mind.

What was I even going to find out there amongst the normal humans? These wolves turned out to be no more dangerous than hunters, and I felt more accepted than I had in my entire life, not that that was a difficult bar to clear.

Getting ready for the day, I left the room that was my prison, to enter the wider territory that was no freer for me.

To my relief, I didn't run into him.

I didn't see the alpha for an entire day, which almost felt strange. He was there at supper, but he did not even try to interact with me. I almost would have believed that he had lost his interest, but once or twice I caught him looking in my direction before he quickly looked away.

My gaze stayed studiously on my plate after that.

After supper, he did not try to stop me or catch me. The next day was the same, as was the next, with minimal contact between us. I was not sure whether to be relieved or disappointed, which was insane because I clearly should have been pleased. If he stayed away, it would be that much easier when my time came to leave. I convinced myself I was satisfied with this turn of events.

—————

A blond# woman I had not met previously caught my attention the next day at breakfast. "Good morning," she said in a voice that was almost too cheerful.

"Good morning," I said, lowering my gaze more out of habit than anything.

"I'm Megan, and I'm assuming you must be Amber. I've seen you around."

I glanced at her. She was a rather beautiful blond with sparkling blue eyes. "Nice to meet you."

"And you, too," I lied.

"So, you're probably going mad trapped in the pack house all the time, huh?" she asked, and then continued without waiting for my response. "Well, since you're here, I could use some help with a little project I'm working on."

"Oh." I wondered what it was. I could cook or clean, but anything else sounded like a stressful ordeal for me.

"I need help planning a mate ball."

"A mate ball?"

"A gathering where unmated wolves can come and try to find their mates. Totally romantic, but also practical. They don't happen very often because packs never want to take responsibility, but Alpha Devon gave me the go ahead to set one up."

She sounded incredibly excited and I suddenly felt guilty at the idea of resisting her.

"And, uh, what do you want me to do?"

"Help with the planning. As our future luna, all these sorts of decisions will be yours to make. But of course, you don't have to do it all right now, but you could help me, right? I could really use some feedback."

She looked at me with pleading eyes, but even without that, I hated saying no. "Fine, I'll help. But I'm not your future luna. I only agreed to stay for two months and give the alpha a chance. He agreed to let me leave afterwards."

"Oh. Well, that was bold of him. He must be sure that he'll win you over to take such a risk."

I shrugged noncommittally. I was wondering if he had not already given up, considering he had stopped hounding me, not that I was complaining. I changed the subject to get her off the topic of the alpha. "You seem very excited about this."