18 Between

Amber

Dan opened the door and smiled his friendly smile. "Hello, Sarah, is it?"

Sarah shot me an extremely unimpressed expression. How was I supposed to know her first name was top secret?

"Nice to see you again, Dan," she responded in a tone that said exactly the opposite. I cringed.

"Surprised you're happy to see a vampire, honestly."

She narrowed her eyes. "Oh, so you're just laying it out there?"

"It's not much of a secret, from what I hear. Why don't you take a seat?"

She shot me another incredulous expression as she took the spot beside me. Dan sat down directly across from me as well so it was like I was caught between two warring factions. He looked towards her and asked in an overly solicitous tone, "Would you like something to drink?"

"No thanks."

"So, I heard you were interested in meeting me?"

"I am, yes. I want to know what your interest in Amber is."

He chuckled. "Well, I don't intend to use her as an unwilling snack, if that's what's concerning you."

Sarah glared. "That's one of the things that concern me."

He raised an eyebrow.

Sarah crossed her arms. "She's very innocent and inexperienced. She's new to this world, and I don't want her to be taken advantage of."

"You know, I'm right here, Sarah," I pointed out. I didn't need her to speak for me.

"I think you're capable of speaking for yourself," Dan commented, apparently not missing my reaction.

"I am," I agreed. Then I turned to my friend. "And if you're just here to be his overprotective minion..."

"I'm not here because of that," she said, looking even more irritated. "Did you tell this bloodsucker all about him, too?"

"No, I said nothing about that."

Dan looked even more curious. He was watching Sarah. "Then are you a werewolf? You're definitely not a fairy, I'd stake my life on it."

"That's none of your concern."

"You know, Her Majesty has a peace treaty with your Alpha Assembly, so I don't see what the issue is here. We're all legal and law abiding, right? Unless you're a rogue, Sarah. But I think not. You've got pack written all over you."

"Fine. I'm a werewolf."

"And what's your relation with this human?"

"She's my friend, and I look out for her."

"Yet you're far from your pack..."

"So you think."

"I know for a fact there're no packs in this area. There're only a few urban packs on the continent and this land is unclaimed. This is vampire country."

She groaned and cast me a weary look as if asking why I'd chosen this particular city. I wasn't about to feel guilty, since I hadn't made her come with me. She was the one adamant about sticking to me like glue.

He smiled. "You're here watching over a human..."

So it was obvious to him, too. It made all my other concerns about my relationship—or lack of a real one—with Sarah seem more valid.

He was watching her carefully. "Is Amber your mate?"

"What? No! No offence, Amber."

"None taken," I muttered. It wasn't like I was interested in her, either.