43 Fighter

Amber

Devon and I ate a late supper alone together in the dining room.

"So, where is everyone?" I asked him. Usually at least a few ranking members or someone from his extended family was here, but it was just me and him, sitting across the table from each other.

"I told everyone this room was closed and to eat elsewhere tonight, so presumably that's exactly what they're doing."

"Oh. Okay."

"I just wanted you to myself."

His words filled me with warm affection. Remembering his words from this morning made me feel warm in a different way. Unless he changed his mind—and I really doubted he would—we'd be doing more than what we had already done. The thought made me a bit nervous but also excited.

"So, what made you decide that you were ready to officially join?" he asked, drawing me out of my thoughts. His voice was casual, but there was a hint of true curiosity underneath.

"It's kind of like the marking, what's the point of waiting if it's going to happen anyway, since I've decided to stay?"

His smile was all warmth at the idea I didn't want to leave anymore. "My wolf is extremely pleased. And so am I."

"I'm glad. So, I guess I'll see your wolf next at the ceremony. I've kind of been missing my fuzzy heated floor pillow."

"What, I'm not fuzzy enough for you as a human?"

"It's different."

"You know I'm the same person either way?"

"Well, yes, but your wolf is so cuddly."

"I cuddle you like this." He faked hurt.

"You do, but you're not as soft."

"My wolf is not soft."

"He is and he also doesn't poke me with your..."

"My what, Amber?" he looked amused.

I frowned to hide my embarrassment. "You know what I mean."

"Do I?"

"Don't you start that, too."

"Start what?"

"That thing where instead of arguing with me you just ask me a question. Dan does it when he thinks I'm wrong but doesn't want to say, and it's really annoying."

"I'm nothing like the vampire."

He thought not, did he? "You're a lot like Dan. Besides picking up his annoying question habit, you both have two arms and legs, a head, blood, bones, speak the same language, can read, can walk, are supernatural, have hair and eyes and—"

"That was not my point."

"—ears and noses, you're both handsome, you both—"

"Wait, are you saying you find the vampire handsome?"

"Well, yeah, he is, I'm not blind. But don't worry, he's not nearly as handsome as you."

"Are you trying to get my wolf worked up with jealousy?"

"No. You've got nothing to worry about, you're the only one who makes me tingle. Carrying on with my list, you both are powerful, protective, bossy, know me, are know-it-alls, are in this territory right now, like to—"

"Okay, you win. I have some very common traits that are similar to the vampire. Except he's not in the territory right now, they're following another lead. We've brought in an accomplished witch to help and we may be finally getting somewhere."

"I hope so." I wouldn't wish being trapped by the hunters on my worst enemy. Megan might not be my favourite person, but I did want her safe.

"Me too."

We were quiet for a long moment. "If you do find them, then what?"

"If we just find the location, we've got a general plan. First reconnaissance, then we'll send in stealth troops to save the prisoners, and once they're out we'll destroy the base where they were held. Kidnapping our people unprovoked was an act of war against the treaties, and we're done playing nice."

"Sounds Dangerous." I hated the thought of Devon fighting, but I doubted he'd be willing to sit back and just watch from the sidelines. He had been front and center the last time he'd gone after the hunters, that was how he found me after all. At least this time he was letting scouts do more of the work.

"It shouldn't be too bad. We're well prepared. While the Alpha Assembly has refused official assistance, it took a stance of turning a blind eye to the actions of packs on the matter, so there are a half-dozen who are ready to come to our aid. The queen of the vampires has also pledged troops on the vampire's behalf. The trickiest part is getting the prisoners out first so they can't harm them when we attack."

He remained convinced that his sister and her mate and Megan were still alive, but I couldn't help but fear the worst. He hadn't grown up seeing the hatred and disdain most hunters had for werewolves like I had. Killing other species was a celebrated accomplishment for them. I couldn't imagine them keeping any werewolf alive for very long.

"But let's not talk about this anymore tonight. I need a break, and I've got different things in mind for you."

My mind, like a well-trained animal, went immediately back to what we had done the previous night and what he had done again to me in the morning, for about the millionth time. I turned away from him, feeling warmer than I had been only a minute before.

"You smell so good, Amber."

I focused on my food to avoid looking at him awkwardly. "Good thing or you'd probably be miserable."

"And you're beautiful."

"Thanks?" I liked the compliment, but I was uncomfortable acknowledging it.

"You are. It was the first thing I noticed when I got a good look at you."

I smiled and tried to divert his attention. "You mean you weren't blown away by my great fighting skills?"

"Well, I did enjoy the way you shoved dirt into that piece of shit's eyes."

"Glad you approved. It was the only thing in reach. I didn't know you saw that."

"I couldn't tell that you were unwilling before you did that. I found you, and I was struggling with my desire to kill him for touching my mate when you attacked. I was so relieved when I realized I could and even should kill him."

"I had been hoping he'd let down his guard if I didn't struggle. Wait, how long were you watching?"

"Only for a moment before you acted. You're such a fighter."

"Me? No, not really. All I managed was to get him angry enough to choke me."

"Being a fighter isn't about winning, it's about not giving up," he insisted.

"I've given up lots of times."

"Sure, to survive. But then when a moment of opportunity came, you took it."

Maybe he was right. I'd spent so much time thinking of myself as hopelessly weak, maybe I'd neglected what I could do if I tried. I'd managed to do a lot of new things since he'd found me.

He smiled and I anticipated what I would like to do with him next.