19

Once we walked into the kitchen my parents looked up and smiled.

"Oh Hanna, nice of you to join us for dinner." My mom said as she smiled and grabbed another plate and placed it on the table.

"Yeah..." Hanna said as she looked at me as she took her seat. When we were all seated my mom said a prayer before my dad grabbed the bowl of salad and put some on his plate before passing it around. Throughout dinner, I couldn't focus.

"Emily..." I stopped pushing my food aside and looked at my mom.

"Yes mom?"

"Are you alright? You barely touched your dinner." I looked down at my plate and sighed.

" I don't have much of an appetite right now."

" Wow, something must be heavy on your mind. That seems to be the only time you have a loss of an appetite. So what's going on?" I looked at my dad and shrugged my shoulders, earning an elbow to the gut by Hanna. I looked at her and she cut her eyes to my parents then back at me. I took a deep breath.

"Mo..." I stopped and cleared my throat. "Mom, Dad I have something to tell you." They looked at each other before looking at me. "I don't really know how to start so I'm just gonna say it. I just found out that Ali is pregnant." My mom gasped and put her hand over her mouth. "Sh-She'll be nine months in a couple of weeks or a week. I kind of blanked out when Jason told me. "

"Wait, Jason told you? Why not Alison?" I shrugged my shoulders.

"She kept it from me mom. My only guess is that she was scared to tell me."

"Or it's not your child." My dad said and I shook my head.

" Ali wouldn't cheat on me dad. Do the math, she would've had to cheat a month before she left and we were together every day." I started to get angry at him for even suggesting that. He held his hand up.

"I didn't mean anything bad Emily, it was just a thought until you cleared it up."

" We're just in shock Emmy." Mom said as she shook her head.

" Yeah. Imagine how I felt when I was told by my ex-girlfriend's brother that I'm having a kid."

"Why didn't you wear a condom? Did you even think of the consequences that came with not wearing one?"

" Mom, every doctor you took me to said I couldn't have kids the natural way and if I'm being honest, it's better without protection." Hanna laughed as mom glared at me. I elbowed her in the side to shut her up.

"Ow!" She yelled as she grabbed her side.

"Don't take it out on Hanna Emily. Now even though everyone believed that you couldn't reproduce, did you even think about diseases?" I shook my head.

" Ali and I got tested before we started doing anything. So I wasn't worried about diseases." They were quiet for a few minutes before my dad spoke up.

"What are your plans Emmy?" I knew immediately that he was talking about the baby. I sighed a little.

" I'm going to help raise the baby. I booked a flight to California and even though I wasn't there for everything else, I'm going to be there for the birth. Mom, I need you to call the school and have me switched to virtual classes for about two or three months."

"Months?" Hanna said before my mom had a chance. I nodded my head.

"Yeah, I know it's gonna be at least two months after the baby is born before we can get on a plane back to Rosewood."

" What if Alison doesn't want to come back to Rosewood with you? I mean, she did break up with you."

" I know she did but I think the main reason she did that was because she was scared that the baby would ruin things for me. While I'm there, I'm going to try to get her to see that her and the baby are the most important people to me." My mom's face softened as she smiled a small smile and grabbed my dad's arm. He sighed and smiled at her.

"Our baby is growing up faster than we wanted her too huh?" When mom nodded her head he made eye contact with me and placed his folded hands on the table.

"It's going to be difficult Emmy. Raising a baby... but it's also gonna be one of the most amazing experiences that you could have. We'll be right here whenever you need us or need advice." He said as he reached over and placed his hand on mine and gave it a quick squeeze.

" We'll clean the kitchen Mr and Mrs Fields." Hanna said as she stood from her seat.

" Okay, well excuse us." My mom got up from her seat and leaned over and kissed my forehead. "We love you Emmy." I smiled up at her.

"I love y'all too." I said as I smiled at them.

Ali's POV

"You have to talk to her Alison." I closed my eyes and pinched the bridge of my nose.

" I know Janel. I'm just... I'm afraid she's going to hate me. You know, for keeping this from her."

"She's not going to hate you. If anything, she's going to understand that you were scared to tell her because you thought the pregnancy would mess things up for her. You just have to explain things to her then she'll take you back and the three of y'all can be a family." She paused for a few seconds. " You two have a 'once in a lifetime' love. How many people our age really feel like they met their soulmate? You really gonna just let her go?" My phone beeped and I pulled it away from my ear to see that I received a text from Emily.

My Heart 💓 - I'm not giving up on us Ali. No matter how much you ignore me. I know you still love me and I love you. I miss her so much, I thought as I closed my eyes.

"Umm Alison, are you still there?"

"Oh shit, yeah." I put the phone up to my ear. " Sorry, Emily just texted me."

"Did you text back?"

" No."

"Ali..."

"I know. I'm going to answer her back."

"Tonight?" I rolled my eyes.

"I'll try."

"Don't try...Do it." I heard her mom in the background say something. "I got to go Ali. Talk to you tomorrow. Text Emily back."

"Okay." With that I hung up. I put my airpods in and started my music before opening my books and starting my homework. About twenty minutes in, I reached for my phone, unlocked it and stared at Emily's message. I sighed as I began to text her back.

You're right, I do still love you. I'm always gonna love you and I miss you so much. I didn't mean to push you away I just thought things would be better for you if you got with Maya. Wouldn't be so complicated. I sent the message and started on my homework again. A few minutes passed before my phone beeped. I quickly dropped my pen and unlocked my phone. I smiled as I read her message.

I don't care how complicated this gets, I still want you. I bit my lip as I texted back.

So we're sending quotes now? I waited for her to text back.

It applied. How about this one... I love you. It's as simple and as complicated as that?

I like it. Why aren't you sleeping? She immediately texted back.

I can't get my mind to shut off right now. I might go workout. I narrowed my eyes and texted back.

Don't overwork yourself.

Don't worry, I won't. Can we talk about us when you have time tomorrow?

Alright. I waited to see if she would text back but she didn't. I finished my homework and went to bed.