Chapter 1: Sold like livestock

Ahsoka Tano's POV:    

 It stinks here in the slumps.  It's wet and filthy.  I can't remember the last time I had a good meal.  Probably before I left The Order.  Before I walked away from Anakin.  Even then all I ever had was nutrition sticks.  Living through the war can be hard on anybody, but  It was extra hard on me.  I'm only 19 and I've fought hundreds of battles.  Alongside many powerful Jedi knights, masters and Padawans.  I've suffered so much pain, seen too much death for someone my age.  It seems everyone around me has fallen.  The Jedi Order has fallen.  Along with the Republic and any hope for true freedom among the galaxy.  If only I had stayed then maybe...

"Hey finish those dishes, togruta scum."

"Ye-yes sir."

"Back to the present, forget the past, focus on the future," I mumble to myself.

        I'm back at the pub again.   That's the only place I can earn enough money to even get a portion of bread.  I know it's not enough to give me the strength I need.  But it's enough to subside the pain of hunger.  After I've finally finished the dishes  I walk toward the door leading to the bar, but the owner beats me to it.

He's a rodien with light turquoise skin and big eyes.  He's definitely not the nicest man in the world, but he'll always use poor children for cheap labor.  I do the dishes, others cook or clean.  Sometimes he'll put you up in the front to serve customers, but that's only if you look old enough, are pretty and curvy, or his customers are completely drunk.  I come here about every week.  I work in some other stores and pubs like this, but I barely earn enough credits to feed myself.  I'm lucky to be able to afford a portion of bread, but I'll survive.  At least I hope I'll survive,  I haven't starved to death yet.  Clearly, otherwise I wouldn't be in this pub.  Or staring at my shoes as my boss starts talking.

"Here are your credits, kid."  My boss says.

" Thank you so much, but don't you want to check my work?" I say.

" You've been coming here long enough.  I know you finished the job."

"I'm honored that you trust me, but I don't know if I'll be able to come back next week"

"Why's that?"

"I'm leaving Coruscant, I don't belong here.  Something is calling me away."

"You aren't leaving.  I've already made a deal."

"I can't remember any deal.  I wish I could reward you for your kindness, but all I can give you is my thanks."

"I can't let you leave."

"I'm sorry, but I have to go."

"You are not leaving, You are too valuable to walk away."

"Valuable, what do you mean?"

Someone comes up behind me and grabs my arms.

"He means that you have been sold.  Sold to me to be more precise."  A voice behind me states.

"No Sir!  How could you do this?" I plea, struggling to remove myself from a strong grasp.

"He gave me an offer I couldn't refuse.  I'm sorry kid." my boss responds, looking down.

"You're coming with me." The faceless man says.

"No.  I refuse.  You don't own me because he never had any rights to sell me."

I've seen what happens, my sanity won't survive that kind of living.  If it's even considered living at all.

"Do I look like I care?"