Chapter 8: Joy and Sorrow

Did Ahsoka just kiss me?  Ashoka just kissed me!  I've had a crush on her since we first met, but she was a Jedi then and couldn't have romantic ties.  Now she's... Well I don't really know.  And this wasn't like the kiss on Carlac.  That was for their survival, it was fake.  This kiss was different.  I probably shouldn't call it a kiss, it was more like a peck.  It was as if she wanted to kiss me, but didn't know if I wanted to kiss her.

        I wanted to kiss her.  I wanted her to kiss me.  And not like the peck she does, but like actually kisses her.  

Lux focus.  You're here on a mission.   Free the slaves, then you can worry about your personal problems.  I need to find these people. homes and take them there.

"Lux, Do you think you could help us find a place on Onderon?" Zeus asks as we make our way back to the center of the hold.

"Yeah Lux. I want to live right by Ahsoka's house so I can visit every day." Lavy is right by Ahsoka's side again.

"I don't even have a house on Onderon yet Lavender, nor a job." Ahsoka comments.

"Let's get the rest of the slaves home then we'll start planning everything out," I say before I get any stupid ideas.

We turn the corner and walk into a crowded room of people. I am quickly separated from the others, but I know exactly what to do.  I have to play the recording from Senator Organa.

"R2  Pull up the recording," I yell out.

R2 rolls out of the hallway and into the crowd where he projects the recording above his head so everyone can see.

"Greetings, My name is Senator Bail Organa of Alderian.  My partner Senator Lux Bonteri and I are happy to have you aboard our ship.  My partner was disguised as a crime lord so he could buy you and set you free.  We need all of you to tell us where you live or intend to live. Obviously we can't offer you luxury or riches, but we can offer you freedom.  Please tell the crew members your name and where you want to go and we will take you or arrange for your passage.  I wish you all the best on your journey along with a free and healthy life. Goodbye and may the force be with you."

The crowd murmures, some move towards the members of the crew that raised their hands in the crowd flagging themselves as crew members.  I look into the crowd in search of Ahsoka, Zeus, and Lavender.  I'm not  surprised to see Ahsoka hugging R2-D2 and Lavender trying to climb on him.

"Oh R2, I missed you so much!  I know Anakin would say the same if he were here." Ahsoka says with a small break in her voice.

"Bleep, bleep."

"I guess he missed you too." I say, stopping next to them.

"Lux how did you find him?" Ahsoka says, looking at me with teary eyes.

"He's actually Senator Organa's.  So is C-3PO." I explain, dreading what's about to come next.

"Why's C-3PO with..."

"Ahsoka, Padme died while trying to give birth to her baby." I say, my stomach tightens and my throat closes.

Force... why did we have to lose her.

"No... Not her too." Ahsoka says, her body shaking.  She runs into my arms and starts sobbing. I hold her in a tight embrace and sit down with her on the floor.

I wish I could take away every pain she has ever felt.  It wasn't fair for her to have to deal with this kind of sorrow.

 Lavender comes and hugs Ahsoka too. Zeus sits beside us.  I hold her tight and whisper soothing words to her.

Ahsoka looks up at me,"The baby?"

        I can't answer her.  I was sworn to keep it secret.  But Ahsoka was like Padme's sister.

"Not here."

        She looks at me with questioning eyes. Then I cup her cheek and wipe the tears from her face. 

She looked down at Lavender and gave her a squeeze. "Thank you, but I'm okay now," she says.

        Lavender stands up along with her brother and walks over to talk to another group of slaves.  Ahsoka looks back up at me, her eyes so sad.  She holds onto me still and didn't make indication that she wanted to get up.  She was sad, but no longer crying.

"Anakin was the father, wasn't he, Ahsoka says, not as a question, but As a statement.  She already knew my answer.

"Yes."

"I have a niece or nephew?" She asks, her voice low as she leans her head against my shoulder.

"Both." I say, unable to meet her eyes.

"Twins.  Oh Lux, Anakin would have been a great dad."

"I know."

"Padme got to see them before she died?"

"I think so." I say, unable to not meet her eyes

"That's great. Can... Can I meet them?" She asks, her eyes twinkle with hope.

"We'll see." I say.

        Ahsoka smiles up at me.  Then she grabs my chin and pulls my head down into a kiss. And a real kiss this time.  I hold her tighter, closing my eyes. R2 makes a whistling sound.  I make a mental note to kick him when we're done.  She pulls back, and gazes softly into my eyes.  

"Thank You." She says, grabbing my hand.

"For what?" I ask, the corner of my lips turning up involuntary.

"For being the best crush I could have asked for," she says.

"Can I go kick R2 now?" I grin.

"Oh ya.  But I got to kick him first."

"Deal."