ㅤ𝗉𝗋𝗈𝗅𝗈𝗀𝗎𝖾.

╭ ⊸⊸⊸⊸⊸⊸⊸⊸⊸⊸⊸⊸⊸⊸⊸⊸⊸⊸ ╮

𝑷 𝑶 𝑽
❝ 𝚠𝚑𝚘 𝚒𝚜 𝚏𝚒𝚗𝚕𝚎𝚢 𝚋𝚊𝚛𝚛𝚎𝚝𝚝? ❞

╰ ⊸⊸⊸⊸⊸⊸⊸⊸⊸⊸⊸⊸⊸⊸⊸⊸⊸⊸ ╯

"𝐀𝐆𝐄𝐍𝐓 𝐇𝐎𝐓𝐂𝐇𝐍𝐄𝐑," SES Erin Strauss called as she walked up the stairs and into the BAU's unit chief's office. She was quick to close his office door once she was inside. She sighed as she pushed away a stray blonde strand.

"Chief Strauss," SSA Aaron Hotchner greeted politely, giving her a nod as he looked up from his paperwork, left hand still holding a pen. He observed as she walked over to his desk and sat in front of him, her posture tense and mouth pursed, signifying stress. "Is there a problem?"

"I got word that the director handpicked a new member for your team," she gave him a pointed look, crossing her legs. "Before you start assuming that I'm sending in another spy, this decision was made even without my consent. I'm just here to deliver the paperwork." She handed him a manila folder.

With a frown, he dropped his pen and took the folder from her hand before flipping it open, reading 'FINLEY BARRETT'. "Who is she?"

Erin sighed, rubbing her temple. "From what I know, she was undercover ops. Most of her files are sealed and classified so I can't really give you much, just that she's really good at what she does. Too good, in fact."

"Dual citizenship, born in Manila, Philippines," Hotch regarded, tilting his head. "Fluent in thirteen languages, two PhD's...she's overqualified, to be completely honest. So, why the BAU? Why my team?"

Erin shrugged. "Like I said, I don't know. But we can't do anything about it; she's already set to start her first day next week. She's just finalizing her transfer."

"Did the director even say anything prior to this decision?" Hotch asked.

She scoffed. "Nothing." She saw how his face remained stoic. "At least she gave you guys a week to adjust before her arrival. I suggest letting your team know immediately." She stood up. "I have some paperwork to do." Then she turned and walked out.

Hotch sighed, before standing up from his chair. Glancing out his office window, he could see the rest of his team giving him inquisitive looks, and he made the decision to walk out of his office, hand still holding the folder.

"Round table, now."

Without a second to spare, his curious teammates stopped what they were doing and followed him. He knocked on David Rossi's office door and gestured him to come follow. Once everyone—even Penelope Garcia—was settled in, he closed the door of the meeting room and dropped the folder to the center of the round table.

Derek Morgan was the first to pick up the folder, and the others peaked over his shoulder in curiosity.

"Finley Barrett," Derek read out loud, looking up and towards his boss. "Who is she? New case?"

"No, new teammate."

"Excuse me?" It was Rossi who asked, confusion lacing his voice.

"Was it Strauss?" Emily asked, crossing her arms.

"Strauss didn't even know, apparently," Hotch shook his head. "She said the decision was made by the director."

"The director?" Jennifer Jareau—or JJ, as most people call her—let out a breath in surprise. "She made an executive decision to put another person in the team? Why?"

"I don't know," Hotch answered helplessly. "All I know is that she'll be here in a week."

"Undercover ops," Spencer Reid raised in eyebrows in thought, reading through the files quickly. "Half of her file's classified, of course. More than half, actually."

"She's pretty though," Penelope pointed out, plucking the pinned picture out of the folder. "Scratch that, she's gorgeous."

Derek smiled at her antics before shrugging. "Well, it's not like we can do anything about it. But it's fishy, though. Why her, why now? And why our team?"

"I don't think we'll be getting any answers until she comes," Rossi pointed out. "Let's just do our jobs for now."

With everyone in the team agreeing, they set off towards their individual desks, all wondering:

Who is Finley Barrett?

author's note: finally was able to publish this!!! i'd like to thank vivian from wattpad support for helping me with the errors i was faced with while trying to publish this book

author's note: finally was able to publish this!!! i'd like to thank vivian from wattpad support for helping me with the errors i was faced with while trying to publish this book. thanks so much for your help!

 thanks so much for your help!