Chapter One

I wake up to the sound of my alarm going off beside of my head. My hand is fumbling to hit the button to turn it off. Frustrated, I throw it against the wall. I see batteries fly in every direction. I smile. At least it stopped beeping.

I sit up and run my fingers through my hair to wake myself up a little. Then I push myself up to a standing position and stumble into the bathroom to do my hair and makeup. As I straighten my hair I think about what I'm about to do today. First day of my senior year at a new school. My last year of high school. It should be a joyous occasion, except I had to leave all my friends. Sarah and Jennifer, but the hardest one to leave was Cole. Cole may have been my ex boyfriend and we might have broken up, but I still didn't want to leave him. He made me feel happy for once. But now that's gone. All of it, gone.

I finish up my make up by applying the last coat of my mascara. Then I open up my closet to see what I can wear. I choose navy jeans and a lace top. I put the clothes on, tie my light gray converse, and grab my bag. I run down the stairs and get in my car.

The drive to school is about fifteen minutes. A large sign reading Palo Verde High School greets me. I pull into the parking lot and take a deep breath. Here we go.

I make my way through hoards of people in the lobby of this new school. I rush towards the office because I feel like everyone is staring at me. I hate it when people do that.

A nice, older woman greets me in the office. "Hi! I'm Mrs. Charles. You must be our new student. Alex Parker, right?"

I nod. "I was wondering if you had my schedule ready."

"I do!" she hands me a paper with my classes printed on it. "Also, I have someone lined up to show you around if that's okay."

I tell her that's fine and she calls someone down to the office. A few moments later a tall boy with dark brown hair and eyes steps into the office. "Alex, this is Brendon. Brendon, this is Alex. Alex is our new student and needs to be shown around."

"Will do," he says, smiling down at me.