Chapter's Seventeen

Five years later

I got out of bed and got ready for my day at work. I went to do my hair and thought about my life so far. I finished college, got an apartment, became a hair stylist, and that's mostly it. Liz and I have grown so close ever since that first day that I bumped into her. She knows me more than I know myself. It's a little scary, but it's also comforting knowing that someone knows me so well. I haven't had someone like her. She's the best person I've ever met. Well other than. . .

No.

I finished curling my hair and left to get breakfast.

I went into McDonald's and got my usual. A bacon biscuit with a coffee. I usually come here every morning so the workers know me.

"Hey Alex," Jacob said.

Jacob was a guy that I met a couple months ago. He's so friendly and sweet, but just a friend. Nothing else.

"Hello, how's it going?" I said back.

"Good, but I was wondering if you wanted to go to lunch this Saturday?"

"Crap! I had plans with my friend Liz, I'm so sorry. We can pick another day, okay?" I said leaving.

"Okay, bye," he said.

I knew that he wanted to be more than friends but I didn't. Not yet at least.

I got my phone out and called Liz.

"Hello, there," she said after two rings.

"Hey, you got plans this Saturday? Or for the whole weekend?" I asked.

"No, and the next answer is yes, you can stay for the weekend. Did Jacob ask you out again?"

"Yes. Okay, I have to go. Thanks for letting me stay," I said, trying to hang up.

"Okay, have fun at work," she said.

"Okay, you too."

I got out of the car and went inside. Ever since I've been out of college I've worked at 'Lilly's Salon' and it has been a dream. Once I got out of high school, I decided I wanted to go into cosmetology. Working here has been great.

I was putting stuff up around my station until I heard a voice come from behind me.

"Hey, beautiful, can I have a haircut?" a voice said.

I turned around to see a tall guy with brown hair and sparkly blue eyes to match. He was quite gorgeous, but not as good looking as others if I might say.

"Sure," I said, pointing for him to sit down.

Between snips of hair he would ask me how I was or if I was single.

"So, are you seeing anyone?" He asked.

"No, and I don't plan on it," I snapped.

"Well, for a very attractive girl like you, you should have someone."

"I did. Once," I said looking down.

I guess I never got into dating after Brendon and I. I never had quite the luck in all that. Every boyfriend I've had has left some way or another. I'm not fit for anyone I guess. I'm never going to have that 'somebody'.

"Well, if you ever want to go get a drink or something, here's my number," he said, getting up to hand me a piece of paper.

"Okay, and come again," I said with a smile.

Once my shift was over, I decided to go and get a drink. I went home to get on some nicer clothes and left. While I was driving, I could help think about how everything has been happening. Ever since I got out of high school, guys have been coming at me left and right trying to get my name and number. What is it about me? I mean, I always thought I wasn't the prettiest and that I had too many insecurities. Maybe I just need to keep staying single. I don't need anyone. Actually, I can't have anyone. I can't let go of the past to live in the present.

I finally reach my destination and hurry up to get out. Once I got inside, the smell of desperation kicked in. Everywhere you looked was either guys trying to get the girls or the girls trying to be as slutty as they could possibly be. Thankfully, I'm not one of those.

I went over to the bar to order a drink. When I was ordering, I felt someone's hand press on my back.

"Hey beautiful, can I buy you a drink?"

I looked over to my right to find a muscular guy sitting right beside me. I could smell the alcohol and desperation on him.

"No thank you," I said turning around.

"Come on. Please?" he said leaning in.

"No, now, leave me alone before I call someone on you." I said balling my hands into a fist.

I knew I've always had a bit of a temper, but right now I was just getting fed up.

"Fine, but if you're still here later, I can come back for you, baby" his speech slurred.

"I'm not your baby, pig." I said drinking my shot and heading out.

I went outside to let off steam. Why does this always happen? Why can't I just be left alone?

I leaned up against my car for support. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath in.

"Hey there."

I really wasn't in the mood to see who it was, so I hurried into my car and drove home. Maybe home is just the place I need. To relax and have time to be alone. I don't want any one to bother me. Especially not guys.

***
I CAN'T BELIEVE IT OVER A THOUSAND VIEWS!!! Special thanks to all of our fans for helping us achieve that goal! Next goal is two thousand!