Chapter Eleven

Sorry for the lack of updates. My editor and I have been really busy but we'll be updating more soon!

***
Today is the day. Prom. It has all the elements of a wonderful night. It reeks of Americana, tension, drama, and romance. The pretty dresses, dances, high school; a coming of age ceremony. It was sad to think this was my last prom, but it was going to be worth it.

I already had my dress picked out. It's a gorgeous white gown with baby blue lace overlay. I put it on and styled my hair in a mix of braids and curls. I applied my makeup with a little bit of mascara and eyeliner. There. It was perfect. I've never felt this pretty in a long time.

I waited in my room and stared out my window for Brendon. I wonder how he will look. I told him the color I was wearing so he could match. I've never seen him dressed up. I hope he looks good. I know he will.

A couple minutes of thinking and then someone pulled into our driveway. I looked out my window to get a glimpse at my prom date. Brendon was wearing a black tux with a blue tie and in his hands he held a white corsage.

"Babe, you ready?" He said through the door.

"Yes," I opened the door.

My eyes fell over his face. His hair was perfectly swept over the side and his eyes were bigger than ever.

"You do not know how amazing you look," he said. He looks like he's in a trance.

"You look good too."

"Oh, here," he said. He helped me put the corsage on. I looked up into his eyes and he leaned down for a kiss.

"Come on, love. We have a prom to go to," he said holding out his hand.

I took it and we left.

When we got there, there were people standing outside taking group pictures. Everyone looked amazing. People were happy, dancing, and not having a care in the world. It was amazing. I never went to my junior prom so this was new to me.

"Hey, let's go get our picture taken and then we can go dance." He said

"Sounds good."

After our pictures were taken (one serious, two of Brendon and I making ridiculous faces), we went to dance.

"Come it's a slow song!" He said.

"Brendon, I have to tell you something."

"What?"

"I can't dance," I told him, looking down at the floor.

"First time for everything, right?" Brendon said, taking my hand. "Come on, I'll teach you. It can't be that bad. It's a slow song."

We danced to "Take My Breath Away" by Berlin. We swayed to the music in a dreamlike state.

"Thank you," he said into my shoulder.

"For what?"

"Being here. Actually, being here for everything. If I hadn't met you, I don't even think I would even be going to this thing," he said laughing.

"You probably still would've," I reply. "With someone prettier."

"I don't think anyone could be as pretty as you. I know for a fact," he said, moving his hands to my waist.

He continued,"No one can be like you. You're beautiful, clever, intelligent, stubborn, and most of all, beautiful."

"You said beautiful twice," I point out.

"I know," he smiled, "I just wanted you to hear it again."

I wanted to melt into him. The way he looks at me always makes me go weak. His eyes were the kind you could lose yourself in. I loved him so much it hurt.

After a few dances, we went over to sit down.

"I think I left something in the car, want to come?" He asked.

"Sure."

When we got to the car, I went in and sat in the passenger seat and he sat in the driver's.

"It's in the here, can you get it?" He said pointing at a box. I opened it up to find a diamond necklace spelling out the word love. When you turned it around, written in small letters on the tail of the e, was both of our names, a small heart between them.

"Babe, this is gorgeous." I said hugging him.

" A beautiful girl should have a beautiful necklace, right?" He said smiling.

I released myself from the hug to find myself kissing him. The kisses grew longer and our breaths became shorter. I was freaking out. I don't want to do anything just yet with him. I want to wait till the perfect moment. I pushed back to signal him.

"Babe, I'm sorry," he said looking down.

"No, it's just that I want to wait. I want that to happen at the right time. Not in a parking lot."

He started laughing and then looked at me.

"I can wait then," he said pulling me into a kiss.

"I love you to the moon and back."

"Well, I love you to the sun and back."

"Why the sun?" I asked, confused.

"To the sun is a longer distance," he said simply.

"I just don't want this year to end. It's went by so fast, we have graduation in like two days, and you guys will be-" I said trying to choke out the last words.

"Babe, don't cry. The band's just going to leave for a while, that's all. After that, I'll be coming right back to you," he told me with his goofy smile.

I wanted to trust him, but deep down, I had the worst feeling. A feeling of gut wrenching sadness. The feeling of someone you love leaving. And never coming back. I knew that was what was happening.