.2. ɪɴ ᴡʜɪᴄʜ ᴛʜᴇʏ ᴍᴇᴇᴛ ᴀɢᴀɪɴ

As the coffin was being lowered in the earthly pit, sobs were heard and tears were shed. Taehyung wondered what kind of life Lord Arenes had led to kindle such grief, especially among the numerous older ladies who had made it to the funeral. He himself wasn't feeling particularly sad. In fact, he was quite numb to the whole event. But he knew the role he had to play. That's why he had trained all these years. To become his benefactor's worthy successor. And today was his first chance to step into his father's shoes.

He put on a face that he wanted devoid of any emotion and began shaking hands. Sometimes he'd get a pat on the back, a sympathetic look, a peck on the cheek that would leave red marks, or a pinch of said cheeks, that would frankly simply hurt. Who were these people and why did they assume they could just put on a compassionate show for him to believe they were in fact grieving the loss of a close friend?

He was getting quite good a feigning indifference in order to dissuade all these guests from lingering at the funeral reception, when a surprisingly strong and refreshingly sincere handshake had him look up at the young man now standing in front of him. "I'm sorry for your loss, Taehyung."

It didn't take him long to recognize his childhood friend who had shaped up quite nicely, and who was, in all honesty, looking gorgeous in his black hussar jacket. "Jungkook! What are you doing here?"

"What do you mean? I came to your father's funeral."

Taehyung was not able to hide his disappointment. "And here I was thinking how you were the first guest who had come to comfort me."

"Haven't you been receiving comfort for hours now? You have no idea how long I've had to wait in line to get to you."

That statement cheered the other up a bit. "I guess you really did want to see me then."

"I—I missed you."

Taehyung smiled hesitantly. "You can't just say that. You don't know what I've been up to, what I've become—"

"I know you've just returned from Germany where you've been studying engineering. And from all the rouge on your cheeks, I can tell you've become quite the catch."

The young lord looked baffled for a second until he remembered something. "I guess working with Scotland Yard has its perks."

It was Jungkook's turn to stare at his friend in bewilderment. They both burst into laughter. But only briefly, due to the number of disapproving looks they instantly got. Once they managed to quench their giggles, they gazed at each other in silence. Taehyung spoke first. "It's a pity."

"What is?"

"Obviously, we both had the time and resources at our disposal to look the other up. Yet we never bothered to send a telegram."

"You're right. It is a pity."

"The question now is: what are we going to do about it?"

"Catch up, I guess."

A short chapter but longer ones are coming soon!

Wattpad fanfic writers write for free, but one way you can show your appreciation for their hard work is to vote!

Thank you for reading ~♡