.23. ɪɴ ᴡʜɪᴄʜ ᴡᴇ ɪɴᴛʀᴏᴅᴜᴄᴇ ᴀ ɴᴇᴡ ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ

"Why have you come back?" he asked, trying to sound detached.

"Do I need to give you a reason?" she replied with a shrug.

"True. You did not give one when you left," he recalled bitterly.

A waiter shows up and places a steaming teapot and two porcelain plates and cups on the table.

"Oh how I've missed English tea!"

"So you were abroad."

"I'll admit that much. But enough about me, tell me what you've been up to?"

"I don't need to fill you in on anything. If you're that curious, however, I suggest you visit the nearest newspaper kiosk. The scandal sheets are quite good at keeping up with my — philandering."

She tilted her head to the side, letting brown locks softly graze her chin while she tried to see right through this facade he was putting up. He was looking out the window, allowing her to gaze to her heart's content. Something — or someone — must have caught his eye for she detected a surreptitious twinkle in his stare and the slight parting of his lips, as if they were about to utter some forbidden words. She turned her head swiftly, spotting two silhouettes across the street, both sharply dressed, walking with a purpose in their step. The two men soon entered a jewellery store.

She turned back around and noticed his focus still on the front window displaying shimmering necklaces, bracelets, earrings and other such ego-flattering ornaments. Except he was now biting his lips. "So, who's the lucky one?"

He seemed to finally snap out of it. She was giving him a knowing smirk. "Why do you even care?" he retorted, a certain nonchalance in his voice.

"Because it's the first time I've seen you in love."

"What do you know of love?" She likely didn't know the first thing about it, he thought, annoyed at himself for letting his feelings show.

"More than you'd care to know."

Fine. Maybe he was wrong to assume certain things. But still, he wasn't going to let her off the hook that easy. "You keep asking questions, but you still haven't given me a single explanation as to why you are here," he huffed in exasperation.

"I've missed London."

"What is there to miss?"

"You. For one."

"Oh quit it, will you."

"Fine. I've missed the shopping scene! There. I said it. So now that the cat's out of the bag, here's what we're going to do: I'm taking you on a shopping spree. No. Don't give me that look. I need you with me because we're going to get matching outfits, and then, we'll go have a fun night out. What's the hottest ticket this week?"

Taehyung sighed deeply. "Min's recital, Friday night."

"Great! I love him!" she squealed, clapping her hands. She sounded so enthusiastic he almost smiled at her cute act. "I trust you can get us tickets," she inquired.

It was too late now to try and get out of it. He didn't even have the heart to turn her down. "Sure. I'll get us the best seats."

"I knew I could count on you," she said while reaching for his cheeks with both hands and scrunching them between her palms, earning a growl from the other.

But the young man was not really upset. He only frowned for form. He was, in all honesty, happy to see her for he had missed her dearly. Deep down, he was quite pleased Ashleigh has managed to bring a little cheerfulness into his presently morose life, and make him forget about the fact that Jungkook had not called once since their night together. It had only been three days, but they had seemed like three weeks.

That was until his peripheral vision caught the sight of said Jungkook walking out of the jeweller, followed by a rather perky Jimin.

Ashleigh noticed the frown returning to Taehyung's forehead. She asked softly, "would you prefer to go with him?"

The other simply shook his head. "He's obviously asked someone else."

"Well, if we happen to run into them, he'll get an earful. I won't stand anyone hurting you."

Taehyung smiled at that. "Don't you think you're being a little overprotective?"

"Maybe. But that's because I have the right to be!"

Wattpad fanfic writers write for free, but one way you can show your appreciation for their hard work is to vote!

Thank you for reading ~♡