.27. ɪɴ ᴡʜɪᴄʜ ᴡᴇ ғɪɴᴀʟʟʏ ᴡɪᴛɴᴇss ᴀ ʟɪᴛᴛʟᴇ ᴀᴄᴛɪᴏɴ

"Where have you been?" hissed a very obviously nervous Jimin as Jungkook stepped out of the crowded tram.

"Have you not seen the traffic?" replied the detective who nonetheless took his time to adjust the trilby on his head.

"You should have known the streets would be jammed. It is the hottest ticket in town after all. Besides, I hear Queen Victoria is planning on attending."

"Is she now?"

"Well, not as herself. Surely you must know how she likes to leave the castle incognito."

"As a matter of fact, I did not know that."

"The perks of being a journalist, I guess. Anyhow, I saw this huge carriage earlier, while I was waiting for you to show up, and I'm pretty certain it was the Queen who stepped out, clad in a fancy yet not too conspicuous outfit."

"It could have been anyone, really."

"What gave her away were the two lads in black dress suits tagging along. No doubt in my mind they were bodyguards."

"Watch out, Jimin. You're turning into a paparazzi."

"Damn it. I should have brought my camera."

Jungkook punched him in the shoulder playfully, and motioned for him to get moving. When he spoke up again, his voice was lower and his smirk had vanished. "Since I didn't get the green light from Chief Rieken, I've decided to go rogue. Which means, if this goes south, I have no backup."

He stopped in his tracks and turned to face the reporter. "Jimin, if you want out now, I'll understand. I don't want you risking your career over this hunch I have."

The other just smiled and shook his head. "No way you're getting rid of me that easy, detective! Plus if things do go south, you'll be glad to have a witness on your side. Am I right?"

Jungkook's smile returned to his face. "Thank you."

His plan was quite simple really. Since he had tickets to Min's recital — compliments of Lupin — they would have no problem getting into the venue. Jungkook was counting on the crowd of spectators socializing before the concert to sneak past security into the backstage area, in order to have a closer look at the grand piano. If Lupin was to strike tonight, then no doubt he would have tweaked — if not sabotaged — the instrument. Him and Jimin knew what to search for, since both had seen Lupin's mirror and choker, used in his previous stunts. Once they find the device, they would simply need to remove it, return to their seats as if nothing had happened, and enjoy Min Yoongi's flawless performance.

Our young detective was quite confident he could pull this off but the sudden eruption of butterflies in his stomach told him otherwise. He had just locked eyes with Kim Taehyung, standing across the lobby, looking as dashing as ever in a golden brocade vest and fitting black slacks. The butterflies turned into spikes when he realized the arm wrapped around his sleeve belonged to a beautiful young lady wearing a matching golden corset dress. He looked back at Tae, knowing very well it was now too late to pretend they hadn't seen each other.

Jimin had caught on and sighed when he noticed Jungkook tensing up. "Let's greet them briefly," he suggested. "I know it's hard but please, try to stay focus on our mission," he added to lighten the mood a little. The detective chuckled at Jimin's earnestness to take his role seriously.

The couple walked up to them, and the four of them suddenly felt an uncomfortable weight fall upon their shoulders. "Jungkook," Taehyung said, voice barely audible, "let me introduce you to— "

But the younger had pre-empted his move and was already holding his hand out. "You must be Ashleigh, Taehyung's sister. Pleasure to finally meet you."

The girl's eyes widened briefly. "I'm impressed," she admitted, shaking his hand.

Jimin's eyes were going back and forth. "Kim Taehyung's sister? I'm even more impressed by the fact that you have managed to hide your existence from the tabloids all this time!"

"That's only because I'm Lord Arenes' failed experiment," she laughed.

"I beg to differ. To me, you look like his greatest achievement," replied the flirty reporter with a glowing grin. Ashleigh smiled back.

"And you are?" she asked teasingly.

"Park Jimin, reporter for the Thames Herald, at your service," he added with an excessively ceremonious bow, earning another chuckle from the young woman.

She turned toward her brother but noticed he and Jungkook were having a staring contest. She winked at Jimin. "Should we leave those two alone?"

That's when Jungkook snapped out of it. "That won't be necessary. Come on, Jimin. We should get going."

"But, the entrance is that way," Ashleigh said pointing at the doors leading toward the concert hall.

Jimin barely had the time to mouth the words pit stop before being pulled away by his restless associate.

"So tell me, who needs to stay focus now?" hissed Jungkook as he dragged Jimin toward what appeared to be the stage door.

"Look who's talking! You should have seen the state of hypnosis you and Taehyung were in!"

Jungkook just glared back at him and put a finger over his mouth, effectively shushing him. That's when Jimin noticed just how quiet the backstage area was. It seemed they had just set foot in another realm, dark, muted, and confidential. Black drapes hung here and there, slowing down their progress as they struggled to find their bearings between stacks of props and cardboard cutouts. Jungkook realized—too late—that they both were overdressed to pass off as staff working behind the scenes. But now was not the time to back out. So he kept walking in search of the stage, trying to dismiss the unsettling feeling that something was definitely not right.

He finally spotted the grand piano behind a heavy curtain. They could hear the muffled sounds of spectators gathering inside the concert hall, making their way toward their respective seats.

This was just all too easy.

"What are we waiting for?" asked Jimin, a little concerned about the other's indecisiveness. Eager to get this over with, he strode past a frozen Jungkook and begin examining the shiny musical device.

"It's too dark in here! I can't see anything!" he muttered, pulling a lighter out of the inside pocket of his coat.

"Jimin! Don't!" whisper-yelled Jungkook who had noticed several shadows surrounding them. But the light had already flickered to life. That seemed to have triggered the trap set up to catch whoever dared approach the piano. Several pairs of strong hands took a hold of both men who found themselves flat on the floor in no time, unable to move a muscle.

"Call the police!" ordered a voice Jungkook did not recognize. "Tell them we've captured Lupin and his accomplice."

Great.

Wattpad fanfic writers write for free, but one way you can show your appreciation for their hard work is to vote!

Thank you for reading ~♡