.8. ɪɴ ᴡʜɪᴄʜ ᴛᴏᴏ ᴍᴜᴄʜ ғʟɪʀᴛɪɴɢ ʜᴀᴘᴘᴇɴs

"Do you feel better?"

Jungkook, with his fingers still entangled in his friend's locks, looked down at him with concern. Taehyung simply hummed, turning his head and shifting his body, sliding a hand around the other's waist. A silent gasp escaped the young inspector's lips.

"As much as I'd love for you to just play with my hair for hours, your thighs are too thick to be comfortable."

Taehyung finally rose from the other's laps. "Besides, we have a recital to go to."

A look at the cold plates in front of them made him pout. "If I recall correctly, this is not the first time our dinner grows cold."

He motioned for a waiter to collect the untouched dishes and heat them up before turning toward his date who seemed a little out of it, slightly gawping. Jungkook was in a daze, the feeling of Tae's pressing fingers around his waist still burning through the fabric of his vest.

"Jungkook?"

"—"

"Kookie?"

Taehyung had leaned forward and whispered the nickname in his friend's ear, with immediate effect, as the latter jolted out of his daydream. "Tae? I was thinking — we don't have to go to the recital — if you don't feel too good."

The other looked at him in horror. "Quit blaspheming Jungkook! This is Jin's comeback show we're talking about! Tickets have been sold out for months! I can't imagine how hard it must have been for you to get a hold of them!"

"Well, take a look at the clock. We've missed the first act already."

"No matter. I heard the second act is when all the good stuff happens."

"To be honest, I didn't buy those tickets. They were a gift."

"A gift? From whom?"

"I actually have no idea. Someone who calls himself a fan."

Tae raised an eyebrow. "You have a secret admirer?"

Jungkook shrugged.

"Should I be jealous?" The pout in Taehyung's tone almost sounded like a tease.

The young detective smirked. "I don't know, Tae. Why would you?"

"Stop pretending you don't know what I'm after."

Jungkook giggled at that. But he quickly regained his composure and, staring at the handsome young man sitting in front him, put on a dead serious facial expression. "The question is, Tae, are you aware of what I want?"

"Why don't you tell me?"

"How about I show you?"

Taehyung's heart swelled briefly as the other leaned in for a timid — and quite chaste — peck on the lips.

What? That was it?

"I'm sorry I didn't catch that," uttered the young man who looked most disappointed.

Jungkook rolled his eyes at Tae's flirty humor.

"What exactly were you trying to show me with—"

Taehyung's last words got sucked into a kiss as Jungkook pressed his lips a little more eagerly this time. Without warning, Tae parted his own and started nibbling at the other's warm, soft and plump bottom lip that tasted like sweet wine. The young detective had the hardest time restraining himself from drowning into the increasingly passionate kiss, so he pulled out, albeit reluctantly.

Panting, he asked, "do you still need me to spell it out for you?"

That was too much tension to handle. Taehyung pushed his plate away and leaned back against his seat. "I'm not sure I want to go to that recital anymore," he whispered, running a hand through his hair.

"Then let's not."

Taehyung was sincerely shook. Jungkook made is all so easy. Yet so difficult at the same time! "What do you suggest we do instead?"

"We could go see the circus and have a good laugh!"

"The Jolly Monkey Circus? Stop talking nonsense, Jungkook!"

"Why not?"

"Haven't you heard? Their main attraction has lost its edge!"

"You mean Jung Hoseok, the clown?"

"Precisely. You know Kookie, I read the papers too."

Jungkook's gaze shifted. If he was being honest with himself, he had to admit that his offer was in fact self-serving. Lupin's note was stuck in the back of his mind, and he had wanted to start working on this bizarre case ever since he had read that article the day before. He hadn't figured out whether it was to be taken to the letter or whether it was all a parody. Perhaps he could get in touch with Park Jimin, the journalist who had penned the story.

"Is something bothering you?"

Jungkook snapped out of his train of thought only to be met with a pair of concerned doe eyes.

"That's the second time you drift off tonight," Taehyung noted.

"I'm sorry, Tae — I'm just — my mind—"

Before he could finish his sentence, Taehyung had gotten up and was now holding his hand out. "Come on. Let's go see the Kantanto. If we hurry, we can make it before the intermission ends. Plus, I have a feeling it might turn out to be — quite entertaining," he added with a wink.

Looking back, Jungkook decided that he would not have chosen the word entertaining to refer to the memorable time they had shared that night. Unpredictable was an adjective better suited to describe the events that took place that evening. Yes. Everything had been unpredictable.

Yet somehow, someone, a while ago, had foreseen this. Perhaps even planned this. Someone, somewhere, was laughing at Jungkook's expense.

Lupin. Watch out. I'm coming for you.

Wattpad fanfic writers write for free, but one way you can show your appreciation for their hard work is to vote!

Thank you for reading ~♡